TextChatService's Chat Not Showing Up in VR

When playing in VR, it is impossible to see the chat if TextChatService’s chat is enabled. This is a major issue as there is no way to be able to see the chat unless the developer has the legacy chat system set.

This happens on both the PC Client in VR and the Quest App Lab Beta.

Expected behaviour

TextChatService’s chat shows up like the legacy chat system.

Workaround

Set TextChatService.ChatVersion to LegacyChatService. There is no workaround if you are not the developer of the game.

System information

PC:
CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60Hz
GPU (0): Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630
GPU (1): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

Quest:
Device: Meta Quest 2

14 Likes

I just found this out when I added VR support to a game I’m working on and I tried to show it off to people but I couldn’t access the chat and everything everyone was chatting to me in-game wouldn’t pop up.

6 Likes

Same issue here, the chat button shows in the VR toolbar below but the actual chat doesn’t show. Good to know it’s linked to the new textchatservice

3 Likes

Hi, thanks for reporting this. Our team will be prioritizing a fix to ensure TextChatService works as intended in VR.

9 Likes

Hi, we rolled out a fix for this issue, please let us know if you are still encountering this problem!

4 Likes

One of my friends checked it out and confirmed that it works :+1:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.