TextTruncate "AtEnd" doesn't work with TextWrapped nor RichText

When the TextTruncate property is set to “AtEnd” it should truncate the text before going outside of the text label. However, this behavior is is ignored when TextWrapped or RichText properties are set to true. See screenshots below for repro.

Normal behavior:

Actual (bugged) behavior when RichText is true:

Expected behavior when RichText is true:

Actual (bugged) behavior when TextWrapped is true:

Expected behavior when TextWrapped is true:

Actual (bugged) behavior when TextWrapped AND RichText are true:

NOTE: When TextWrapped is true and RichText is false, the actual behavior is sometimes bugged, and sometimes correct. It depends on the size of the text object. Sometimes the 3 dots don’t show up. See gif: https://gyazo.com/e6a5eadb7334f22143cd6f8dffaa1fa8

EDIT, NOTE #2: Even with TextTruncate property set to “None” there is still a bugged behavior when RichText and TextWrapped are both true. The TextWrapped behavior is ignored. See screenshot below:

This is keeping me from using RichText in a chat list gui. I have to resort to the old method of multiple text labels and calculating TextBounds to work around this. This is pretty annoying and this application is one of the top uses for RichText imo…

17 Likes

Thanks for the report! We are aware of this issue and have a ticket in our backlog to fix this. I can’t give you a specific date when this will be fixed, but when we do we will make sure to update this thread. Thank you for helping us make Roblox better!

6 Likes

Hey, I am sorry for bumping this topic, but was this issue fixed? I am still encountering this exact issue with RichText.

2 Likes

Bump. RichText is an essential feature, but it causes so many other great features to break.

2 Likes

Bump, issue still not fixed over a year later.

3 Likes

Yet another bump. I would like to use rich text with my notification handler but it will bug with text truncate.

2 Likes

I apologize but bumping this yet again. It’s been over two years and I need this functionality.

3 Likes

Another bump. Just ran into this bug and would really appreciate a fix :pray: .

Hi @mrfergie , thanks for your feedback! We have currently added the support for Rich text truncation. Please give it a try and let us know if you see any issues. In terms of the text wrapped issue, did you mean the ellipsis is inconsistent? If so, this is as design because we check if there is enough space for an ellipsis to display so it does not always show up currently.

Thanks for the long awaited update!

In regards to the ellipsis, as seen in this GIF, and as you said, it’s unpredictable. It shouldn’t be unpredictable.
https://gyazo.com/e6a5eadb7334f22143cd6f8dffaa1fa8

I would expect the ellipsis to always show if text is cut off. If there is no room for the ellipsis in the text box, the last visible word should be removed to make room.

The problem with the way it’s implemented: if the ellipsis is not shown, one would assume the full text is shown, but that’s not the case. The definition of “text truncate at end” is that the text will be cut off, so therefore 1) it doesn’t matter if you cut off another word and 2) it should always show the ellipsis to indicate such.

Here’s an example of the UX here on the dev forum that works the ways I described. It cuts off the last visible word, in this case just enough characters are removed as needed to show the ellipsis.

Use Case: this bug has been preventing me from being able to use simple TextLabels for a chat UI for years, instead I have to use multiple text labels and truncate the text with the proper ellipsis via script.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback! I have filed an internal ticket to evaluate and modify the feature.

2 Likes