Texture and Baking Problems for my model!

Hello Forum!
I have recently got into 3d modeling on blender, so I can create my own game. I watched a few videos on how to use blender and I made a hot air balloon. I used a color palette I found off of google to try and get precise colors for my model as you can see here,
HugeColorPaletteo2qlv9YlMy1smsb7f_500

The textures would never come through in Roblox Studio for some reason which made me mad so I found a video someone recommended about how to bake textures.
This is the video I watched. How to Unwrap and Bake Textures in Blender 2.8, 2.9, 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2? - YouTube

I did everything it said to do and for some reason after baking it it turned out dark and spotted with dark colors as you can see here,

Can someone please help me with what to do I am getting so frustrated!!

Did you try making the UV parts of the balloon meshes bigger? And did you make sure that no part is overlapping another part?

Sometimes it cannot render parts if they are too close to each other.

Well I can’t make the UV parts of the balloon mesh too big cause it has to fit in the color I want from the color Palette. I also spaced them out a good bit then scaled them down to fit in the color I wanted for that face.

If you’re using a texture atlas like this (your colour grid is technically a texture atlas), you don’t need to bake anything. Export your mesh, and apply the texture atlas to the Meshpart in Studio.

However, I suggest making your UV islands much smaller and centered in the colour grid so there is less colour bleeding. In the UV window, select every face that’s going to be a single colour (as in, select everything that’s going to be red), press Shift + S and select Selected To Cursor. This will make all the UV’s vertices go to a single point. You can then grab the vertices using the G key and move them to the appropriate colour.

I will mention that while this is method of texturing isn’t great (since it doesn’t support PBR and could easily be replaced with Vertex Painting), it is a good stepping stone to better texturing workflows. Once you’re comfortable with this method I suggest moving on to more advanced methods unless a style calls for it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m sorry I guess I’m just not understanding exactly what your saying. So I export the mesh and once it is exported I apply the texture atlas? Could you just go into detail more or something I don’t understand every term. So I went back a few steps and did what you said and made it all small with Selection To Cursor on everything that was the same color, but now that I have that done what am I supposed to do? This is how it all looks right now.

You can search all the terms I used on Blender support forums and wikis. It’s all there and goes into better detail. In fact, for future Blender-related questions you should always refer to Blender-related sites first. Questions like these are better answered there. :slight_smile:

As for what you do now, export the mesh as an .obj, import it into Studio, upload the texture to Roblox, and apply the texture to the Meshpart.

Edit, I never answered your question about why the bake is so dark… Texture baking requires a light source unless you are only baking Diffuse with only Color checked. If there is no light - or even not enough light - the bake will be very dark.

4 Likes

I can’t tell you how much of a life saver you are! I hope you have the best day ever I hope to be as experienced as you one day!!

1 Like