Texture Generator [Beta]

These are great suggestions, and we’ll definitely incorporate them into our thinking! Re: in-world previews, tt’s difficult to view the previews in the viewport before clicking “Save and Apply”, since they are image generations that don’t necessarily translate to 3D space. However, totally hear you – we want to find ways to allow users to evaluate previews in 3D space, since that’s the most accurate way to evaluate if a texture works or not.

2 Likes

Thanks for this feedback! We’re looking to raise quotas very soon, but this is great signal for us to figure out how creators want to be able to use our features.

2 Likes

Know what I did wrong?
Looked normal in the preview.

6 Likes

Do you mind sharing the obj(s) and a prompt?

1 Like

I think the 25 preview is worse than the 5. I ran out of previews before I got one I could use as a Save.

3 Likes

This is huge! So great to see Roblox make investments in this area as it will unlock allot of opportunities for a wider audience of creators.

My friend and I actually released a very similar AI texturing tool that you can checkout here:

It doesn’t have any quota limits :slight_smile:

[edit] example comparison between our tool (left) and Roblox (right) for prompt “A futuristic mask with black and yellow highlights, phtorealistic style”:

4 Likes

Not bad for a start, what’s crazy is that it’s not a single mesh! (14 different mesh parts)

13 Likes

I haven’t tried it yet, so this might be an option, but I was wondering, what is the size of the textures imported? Is there a way to specify? I would think having unique textures per meshes, could really use up memory on the client.

I read you can export it and of course modify it in a paint program, but what is the default for the import?

3 Likes

Can’t you run a lower capacity model locally on the user’s machine?

2 Likes

The textures are generated as 1024x1024 textures. We understand the memory implications, and are looking to add ways for creators to customize the resolution of generated textures, so stay tuned!

3 Likes

Not sure if you guys said this and I tried searching for this. Just outta curiousity, will this work for a meshpart that has no laid-out UV map. And will a new UV map be applied along with a new MeshID after textures are generated?

2 Likes

It's an improvement but it is sometimes pretty bad (Texture different for example), hope it gets even bigger improvements.

3 Likes

Hey @SergeantHippyZombie! Yes, this will work for a meshpart which has no UV map, or a UV map in any condition, for that matter. As long as “Smart UV Unwrap” is checked, a new UV map will be applied. But you’re right, this will result in a new MeshID once you generate a texture, since the UV map has been changed.

2 Likes

it will help 0 creators because you arent creating if you use AI

5 Likes

When trying this out, I noticed that the generated result looked significantly different compared to the preview window. Is this one of the current limitations?

2 Likes

Woah this is really cool!
It’s definitely going to be useful for background objects and stuff you don’t get very close to!

3 Likes

This seems like the most likely cause for the lower quality compared to the preview

2 Likes

I only textured 4-5 items and I ran out of previews even though I didn’t switch anything up, and just used the first preview that got generated.

it does seem like it’s consuming more previews than it feels like i’m using…claims 25 when it feels like I generated at most 10 or so. Wonder if it’s double counting?

1 Like

Don’t quite remember the prompt and for whatever reason the previews didn’t save but here is the obj.
richhouse.obj (472.6 KB)