Textures Not Rendering Correctly

Hello,

I’m currently working on a game where mesh parts are being used for the character. The mapping on the texture is correct, however, for some odd reason, all the transparent parts of the texture are black, thus resulting in the whole part being black.

Here is the texture file:

And here is the result:

It’s so black in fact you loser all depth perception.

Any solutions to this? The texture file is a PNG and when attempting to apply the texture to a special mesh, rather than mesh part, the same issue occurred.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Can you show me the explorer window with the full drop-down of options? I believe you may have the color of texture set to 0,0,0 which will force the texture black. If not, it could have to deal with the UV mapping of the mesh.

Can you please provide more details so I can help?

Of course. Here is the properties window for all relevant properties.
I’ll reiterate, the texture itself is transparent and it’s the texture property of the actual MeshPart.

1 Like

Assuming that TextureID is an actual ID rather than words, it looks like the problem lies within your UV map; however, from the looks of it TextureID appears to just be words. When I do the same with another in-game mesh, it comes out as an ID rather than as words (see below). Perhaps upload the texture as a decal and plug that ID in to test?

As can be seen from my studio, it appears only as an ID even though it has a name.

(Just a side note, the ID and TextureID provided is not the original Roblox model but a redesign with minor edits.)

1 Like

Right, the reason it is words is become the texture is sourced from the image directly, however, you can do it via ID as well. Here is that ID, the same effect occurs when using the number ID as well.

rbxassetid://2539178574

Edit: Whoops.

2 Likes

That image appears to be completely transparent and different than the source from above. Could you reupload it as a decal and try it as that instead?

I’m going to load it into Adobe illustrator and photoshop real quick to see if its the image itself as the problem or if its Roblox’s poor on-site loading of said image.

1 Like

I would be inclined to say it is onsite loading from what you can see here:

This is also not accurate, here it is via decal form:

1 Like

The linked ID is incorrect.

is much different than something from Scotty’s development

@SneezyRanger is the modeler, using the one under the group results in the same issue.

1 Like

Your mesh could potentially be vertex painted black, however vect0rius would probably know in this case, if it’s not then you could maybe export it into Blender and visualize it by enabling Vertex Paint mode. With the knowledge we have of this situation I’m not sure what else the solution could be.

1 Like

Although it could be that, it doesn’t seem to be since in Illustrator it loads in as transparent and, in the image he provided on a yellowish-tan part, the image has a transparent background.

Precisely, it is simply how Roblox is rendering the texture on the mesh part. It has the same effect on other mesh IDs as well.

Edit: other transparent images have the same effect, should I file this as a bug report? @PeteyK473

2 Likes

Can you try replacing the TextureID with 2539178574 and then rechecking the UV map of the mesh to ensure that they match up?

Same effect:

I’ll have the modeler recheck, he’s extremely talented. If all is in order I may file this as a bug. The fact other transparent images render black leads me to believe the issue is consistent.

1 Like

Have you tried making that portion of the model a part with a SpecialMesh, and then applying the texture as a decal within the same part? While Roblox can technically have alpha in textures, it’s moreso of a workaround to get it working.

This would also mean that the texture does degrade in quality a bit, and that this object would take more resources than it would normally. As PeteyK473 mentioned in an earlier reply, you may wish to consider vertex painting if that’s possible with how the mesh is arranged.

1 Like

My modeler said no to the vertex thing, we attempted taking a part adding a special mesh and adding the texture and mesh ID, it yielded the same result.

1 Like

Was the texture ID placed into a decal alongside the SpecialMesh within the part? The texture ID for the SpecialMesh should either be blank, or whatever texture you would like underneath the decal if needed. It shouldn’t be used for the SpecialMesh’s texture ID, which would produce the completely black mesh as shown in your pictures.

1 Like

This might be related to Roblox not properly rendering alpha maps. You can’t have transparent textures as the texture in a meshpart sadly.

Try duplicating the offending part, and remove it’s textures.

Then, on the MeshPart with the texture, add to 0.05 to the size of the mesh with the texture on it, and change it’s transparency to 0.01. Make sure the untextured part is below the textured part, and slightly smaller than the textured part. This is all assuming you want to use materials & colors on the MeshPart, while having a texture that gives it more detail.

This should allow you to color the untextured part without any issues, resulting in an illusion of proper alpha map rendering. :wink:

3 Likes

Sometimes this engine is simply too far back in the dark ages. Could you make that a feature suggestion, I would but I have to take 5 steps to get it posted there.

5 Likes

Yeah, I’ll look into doing that, though I feel like that’s been posted already.

3 Likes