TextWrapped and MultiLine limits automatic sizing of the TextBox, what are the workarounds?

Maybe, one of the workarounds could be Roblox fixing it maybe? :thinking:

Anyways.

The issue is as following.

1. I put a TextBox inside a ScrollingFrame.
  2. I gave the TextBox the Size of “1,0,1,0”
  3. I changed the colors so that it is a bit more visible, but that doesn’t matter.
  4. I enabled MultiLine for the TextBox
  5. Make sure ClearTextOnFocus is off
  6. Make sure TextWrapped is on
  7. Turn TextScaling off
  8. Change AutomaticSize of the TextBox to Y

Okay, so after that you get a textbox and you can spam the Enter key.

However, while TextWrapping is on, there’s some limitation

It just stops…

And that’s the issue.

And this is why TextLabel.TextWrapped

If further line breaks would cause the vertical height of the text (the Y component of TextLabel.TextBounds ) to exceed the vertical height of the element (the Y component of GuiBase2d.AbsoluteSize ), then that line will not be rendered at all.

So how can I fix this?

I want the TextBox to expand indefinitely vertically, without having to turn on TextScaling and then get super small text.

But TextWrapped seems to prevent me from doing so.

I think Roblox should change its behaviour of not rendering the other lines of the textbox if it goes over Y AbsoluteSize or whatever, while MultiLine is on.

I want to do a proper scrollable text box basically.

2 Likes

Hi @HealthyKarl , thanks for reporting this issue. We are currently working on a fix for this.

3 Likes

Thanks.

Keep it updated on when the fix was published to Roblox Studio.

Hi @HealthyKarl , we’ve recently rolled out a change, please verify on your side if this update fixes the issue you mentioned above (this may require a software update on your RobloxStudio) and let us know, thank you!

I am on Version 0.531.0.5310423 (64bit) and I am still able to reproduce the issue.

It’s not fixed.

Hi @HealthyKarl , could you please provide a place file so that we can verify on our end? I’ll investigate to see if it’s because the update is not published yet or the issue is not fixed.

2 Likes

I have the same issue, it’s not fixed. TextBounds is not properly changing and the Text won’t render.

AbsoluteSize Y is 70, and TextBounds Y is only 47

I figured out a weird fix

I just made a TextLabel copy over the TextBox and copied AbsoluteSize and Text and made the TextBox invisible.

repeat task.wait()
	script.Parent.ScrollingFrame.TextLabel.Text = script.Parent.ScrollingFrame.TextBox.Text
	script.Parent.ScrollingFrame.TextLabel.Size = UDim2.new(1, 0, 1, script.Parent.ScrollingFrame.TextBox.AbsoluteSize.Y)
until false
1 Like

I’m assuming this was never fixed as I’m struggling with the same issue now. Any updates?

(Update: I’ve submitted a new bug for this)

1 Like

Issue still occurs on my test file.

2 Likes