The ability to decline Developer Product purchases

If that were the case for the project I’m working on I would have absolutely gone that route, in-fact I have gone that route for other projects I worked on.

I was just working on my DevProduct gifting system, and was wondering if anyone ever came across a workaround for this. If someone is sending a gift to another player, and the other player leaves before the server validates the purchase, I’d rather just cancel the purchase, than make a lingering gift somewhere in DataStores / MemoryStores for when that player maybe rejoins.

I guess the player will just have to wait 72 hours for their Robux back :man_shrugging:

I can understand what you mean by this, but there has been a bunch of posts made asking for a way to decline purchases. These edge cases are starting to become more common.

My edge case specifically, I don’t see another workaround besides what I said earlier, but that’s not even the greatest solution.

Side Note:
How does Pls Donate dismiss the “You already own this…” prompt?

1 Like

The idea here based on xChris_vC’s post is not to make lingering gifts, but to sell “gift vouchers” that let you make 1 gift exchange. If the gift exchange fails after they just purchased one, you still accept the Robux, you just store the “gift voucher” in their account so they can transact 1 gift for free in the future (or immediately gift someone else).

1 Like

I’ve seen this thread pop up every now and again for a few years now and always wondered, why put time restricted things like this on a developer product anyway?

Theres easier workarounds here such as just using a premium in-game currency which introduces less friction on the player’s part. Oh, cant purchase this right now? Tell them and don’t remove it.

If your game doesn’t work with currencies, have a system where it gives you a free pass the next time you attempt to purchase it.

1 Like

This is a fair response.

I like the idea of a gift voucher because it removes the need to cancel the purchase. I also dislike it because it adds another layer to explain to the consumer, and adds another layer of work for developers. These purchases should remain as simple as possible, because the majority of these consumers are children. Having to explain to them why they are receiving a voucher, and how to use it is not worth it when you can simply just cancel the purchase. This is the most transparent outcome for the consumer, and if they want to try again, they easily can.

I understand what you mean by not wanting to cancel purchases because it’s an ‘anti-pattern’. But I think there should still be the ability to cancel the purchase. It just seems like something that should have been included from the beginning. (Maybe urge developers not to use it, and explain why, but still have it available for certain edge cases that come up)