The ability to run 2 ROBLOX Clients at once

If you guys don’t remember, ROBLOX put out a Windows 10 Beta Test app a while back in order to get feed back for it. I completely forgot about this, but it popped up in my start menu today and I thought I’d play with it a little.

Oh hey. Forgot you existed.

I was playing with this a little and found out that if logged into two separate accounts (one web one on the app) that you were actually able to play both accounts at the same time.

Example -

Me and an alternative account of mine playing at the same time.

I cannot count how many games that this could cause problems with, as the use of two players can be a huge advantage in some games.

Examples

• Killing another player for money in a tycoon

• Making an alternative account to just join and take a games starter cash

• Making an alternative account to duplicate the given starter tools in a game

While the app hasn’t been released to the public yet, I feel like this bug should be patched before its released and some users get clever like I did.

8 Likes

You used to be able to do this on Mac by opening a game from FireFox and then opening a game from a different account on Chrome or Safari. It was very useful for testing, sad that they got rid of it :frowning:

1 Like

The app has actually already been released to public. You can find it in the Win10 app store. However, players could do this same thing with their phone/tablet and PC before this app. It’s not really a big issue, otherwise you would think ROBLOX would have addressed it when they decided to go cross-platform.

5 Likes

This is a good point, I just think that this makes it easier to take advantage of games in the ways I stated above. It’s a lot faster to open an app and a web browser than it would be to use a phone and computer.

I remember when I could open up a game with my character and then leave my account, but not the server, and then come on the same game with like 5 other guests all of them running on the same mac. You can’t do this anymore but it’s how I got the bloxxer badge because trying any other way was pretty ridiculous (because you had to have 250 KOs more than WOs and only linked weapons can give you those KOs while just about any game can add to your WOs by resetting your character by killing them).

1 Like

These examples could be done with another device anyway, so I don’t see how thats a problem. I found this out a few nights ago, was pretty cool, and honestly I think it would be sweet to keep for testing our own games on a live server.

2 Likes

http://devforum.roblox.com/t/how-many-clients-can-you-run/28283

I don’t think it is that big of a deal, seeing how many people who would have the knowhow would already have multiple computers to do this in the first place.

Also, a XBOX controller can be used to control both clients simultaneously (if the win10 app is selected), which is fun.

Latency is pretty fun (P.S. what is the best way to do vids without youtube?)

I find this extremely useful because you can test a live server with 2 players on the same PC instead of having to use multiple devices.

3 Likes

Sorry for bumping, but I seriously think Roblox should take a closer look at this bug, and if it should be considered a “bug” in the first place.

As @cardgamechampion stated, it would be extremely useful if in place, and I’m disappointed it was removed. Stability would be an issue with this bug, but again, it’s at the choice of the player.

I don’t want to have to drag out 3 different devices to play with multiple clients.

Wait, they removed this, haven’t tried it in a while. That’s a shame.

You’re able to run the windows 10 app version of roblox along side the regular client, if that helps. I agree with you though, some features you simply can’t test in studio, and being unable to run multiple clients can really hinder ability to test

1 Like

Oh ok, so this never got removed after all, that’s good because I still like the ability to run 2 clients in a live server, great for testing even if it is technically a glitch. Maybe if Roblox can add the ability to create test accounts for a live server for you to use, then I’d be ok with this gone.

Fundamentally, this isn’t easy to solve - even if this method were patched, a given player could just run 2 clients on 2 separate computers while logged into 2 different accounts, resulting in the same issues that have been listed here.

1 Like

Oh mercy. I never thought I would have to revist this after so many years but looking back at this and seeing how many times this post was viewed (upwards of 30,000, for some strange reason), the ‘bug’ definitely plays to more benefits than disadvantages in the current Roblox environment.

As @Reshiram110 stated, if it were to be patched a dedicated user wouldnt have to go to extrodinary measures to pull this off, honestly.

1 Like

Personally, I would prefer this not to get patched. While it is probably possible to detect 2 clients on the same system by checking the system processes that are running, this “bug” has made testing much easier since I don’t have to enable separate systems to test things on production. It also doesn’t help that the secondary system I would pull up would have been very slow as a laptop, or different inputs as a phone.

3 Likes

I believe you can currently do this by playing on the Windows 10 Store Roblox and the web Roblox.

Why not use the local server feature of studio that can host up to 8 clients rather than just 2?

This is why I mentioned “test things on production”. There could be a bug that doesn’t happen in studio, or it could be some else’s game. The first case came up a lot for Ultimate Boxing, and these type of intermittent bugs are really annoying to catch.

4 Likes