The Big Bubble Chat Rework

This is an entirely different system from the old bubble chat, so yes, it should not have the bugs that the old one had. Please do let us know if you notice any issue though

Does this mean you fixed the old chat too since there will be an option to have either? Or is it just the new chat that doesn’t have this bug?

Thanks!

2 Likes

It would be better to make it pop up faster because I have tried it and it’s kinda slow but everything is perfect

2 Likes

Same! This new chat is way too cartoony for serious types of games. It fits with some of the more cartoony style games but the old chat was a good middle ground that fit with everything. And yah if the old chat gets removed I will also end up forking it but I rather not have the need for that work to be done nor do I even know how to. I hope the old chat is not removed.

6 Likes

I’m assuming they made it this way to prevent the bubble from bouncing with the characters head and making it unable to be read, although I do agree it shouldn’t just be attatched to the HRP.

4 Likes

Everything looks great except for that gross cartoony slide in animation. There needs to be a way to disable that.

1 Like

Looks great! I like it. However, does this cost any lag at all?

3 Likes

^ From this post here: BubbleChat's Epic Makeover

2 Likes

Due to this, changing the chat for certain players is not possible with the new system. In order to change the color of the bubble chat for specific players, you would need to be able to fork the chat scripts. Obviously, this is not available anymore.

4 Likes

With the old chat system, this was possible through forking the chat scripts. If we wanted to make specific changes, for example gamepass-activated chat bubble color, that wouldn’t be something we can do, correct?

3 Likes

Just keeping it here, hopefully this will help others.

39 Likes

Love the bubble chat feature but I have a PC user that isn’t getting the old or the new chat now (previously had the old chat). So I thought there was only a lag on adoption for Mobile users?

99% players seem fine.

Any thoughts?

4 Likes

I’m having issues with this, my place seems to be forcing both to be active.
ChatGif

EDIT: Removing the ‘BubbleChat’ LocalScript that I previously forked solved this issue and removed the old bubble chat.

9 Likes

Unfortunately found a bug or glitch here is the bug:

the bubble collides with the head when looked down with shiftlock

4 Likes

I still don’t understand why you guys couldn’t just re-style the existing BubbleChat framework instead of making it rely on a messy, horrendous proprietary framework which appears to slow down everything it runs, and makes it more difficult for developers to modify.

10 Likes

Looking good about the new one, but can’t follow that old thing. Old Bubble Chat make us the memories.

4 Likes

Isn’t it connected to the humanoid Root part and not the head?

4 Likes

I believe it’s due to legacy behavior that has been kept for the R6 rig. The new bubble chat uses the character’s PrimaryPart as its adornee for the BillboardGui. You’ll notice that R6’s PrimaryPart on spawn is the Head, whereas, R15’s is the HumanoidRootPart.

If you don’t rely on the R6 PrimaryPart being the Head, you can just set the PrimaryPart yourself on the .CharacterAdded event to the HumanoidRootPart instead. I don’t believe there’s any side effects of doing this.

8 Likes

This update is truly amazing. The Roblox chat has not changed for many years now, and it seems like a big update to me. One thing that I truly love about it is how customization it is. Now, instead of having to re-create a chat on our own in order to design it, we have way more control over it without holding us back from having to manually update our own every time it breaks. One thing that I would enjoy is if we could “customize the animation” per say. Although this chat is very good, it is too cartoonish for some scenarios, so customizing the appearance and fading-out speed (how long it takes to appear) would be amazing. Other than that, amazing job. Very well done.

4 Likes

Question: Does setting the bubble chat settings only work in-game? When I try to do it in Studio, the default settings are still there.

local chat = game:GetService("Chat")

local ChatSettings = {
	BubbleDuration = 10,

MaxBubbles = 1,

BackgroundColor3 = Color3.fromRGB(0, 0, 0),
	TextColor3 = Color3.fromRGB(255, 255, 255),
	TextSize = 10,
	Font = Enum.Font.GothamSemibold,
	Transparency = 0,
	CornerRadius = UDim.new(0.25,0),
	TailVisible = false,
	Padding = 8, -- in pixels
	MaxWidth = 300, --in pixels

VerticalStudsOffset = 0,

BubblesSpacing = 6,

MinimizeDistance = 40,

MaxDistance = 100,
}

pcall(function()
	print("before")
	chat:SetBubbleChatSettings(ChatSettings)
	print("Successful")
end)

6 Likes

To be honest, this is one of the best updates so far! Not only it fixes the line cutter glitch, but it also makes everything look so much cooler! I was thinking we could maybe get outlines to the bubbles… But anyway, this is a great feature!

3 Likes