The Big Bubble Chat Rework

It’s been in place since 2015 - here’s how the chat looked in 2009:

I still believe that even this design would work better universally than the new one, which is too small and too cartoony :confused:

1 Like

So you want Roblox to use outdated and ugly Uis instead of clean and simplistic ones ?

I just can’t understand you people

2 Likes

Does it cause lag or lower performance?

“outdated”
Source Sans is definitely outdated and ugly…

I genuinely believe the current BubbleChat appearance is more modern and universal, and the new one looks too small, childish and wide (font-wise).

Don’t forget, the new one is based on a proprietary framework, which limits developer freedom with the BubbleChat system, all at the expense of “animations” which aren’t necessary - anyone who wanted to implement them already would have/already have (under the existing system).

Considering Roblox is trying to move away from being a “kids game” and become a better development engine, I only see this, and many of the other UI changes this year, as a step backwards. IMHO, Roblox appeared far more professional and sophisticated, in terms of user experience, back in 2018.

The engine may be progressing (interpret that as you wish) but it seems as if everything else is being “dumbed down” for seemingly no reason other than to appeal to children more, which is what I thought Roblox were trying to move away from :confused:

3 Likes

i was talking about the shape of the bubble , the font is fine.

It’s definitely not perfect but it’s way cleaner and fits pretty well with the new topbar. Also , about these animations , i do think that some of them are useless but overall the bubble feel more “bubbly” which is well…the point of a bubble…

It’s my opinion of course

1 Like

Hey! Certain users have reported not being able to see the bubble chat, I do not have any screenshots as they didn’t use third-party apps (which I can understand,) anyway, thanks for reading, have an amazing rest of your day/night! :smiley:

I noticed an issue with the Windows 10 version of Roblox (The one you download from the Microsoft Store), I am unable to see bubble chat at all from other users and my own character.

2 Likes

I enabled this new chat feature in Obby Creator today. A user has reported that when they chat the bubble shows up twice (picture below).

I asked them and they are using a laptop with Windows 10, but they are using the Roblox player that downloads from the website, not the app on the Microsoft Store.

5 Likes

Hmm weird, what do you think is making the problem.

1 Like

An issue :
Screenshot_175

The chat is Center-above the HRP, so why not make it in the head? Plus, the Royale High name is already ok because it’s placed on the head.

2 Likes

Would it be possible to get built-in support for DialogTone?

I used it a lot with the old chat, and it’d be pretty painful to implement it into every place of mine that uses it.

Can gamepass color be made to the new bubble chat?

Nice to see this however:
Would like to see the actual chat box get some work done to it. (Someone has already probably said this)

Personally I find it appealing.

If the dev does not like it, he can change it to whatever he wants.

There is no way to customize chat bubbles for only one player. You also can’t change the source of the ChatBubble from the HumanoidRootPart, which makes using this with custom rigs very difficult.

The look of the chat bubble is good but it’s missing customization and functionality. Several major oversights and complete lack of documentation on the developer page regarding any of these issues.

Is this Roblox’s attempt at forcing games to use default rigs so they can sell avatar cosmetics or are these just oversights?

5 Likes

I really dig it! I have this on all of my games. Great work. :+1:

Is there a way for this to be attached to Head instead of HumanoidRootPart?

Noticed this recently as well. It looks like it may try to figure out the size of the character model by doing some form of height/width check?

I don’t actually think majority of the people like the new chat system because of its errors and minor bugs which should be fixed by roblox but people this thread is for reporting bugs about the chat and not about arguing on which chat system is better. And this new chat system just came out so we got to give roblox time to fix these errors.

2 Likes

Is there an option to disable this? I am noticing issues in a game with pets (floating barely above head height) that is pushing the chat bubbles to unwanted levels.

1 Like