The Campgrounds - 2D RPG Story Game (Roblox Undertale)

Heavily inspired by RPGMaker and Undertale, made entirely with ScreenGuis, for a game contest hosted by Jackeryz.

Here is a little hype trailer for the game:

This game is technically a sequel to a game I made a year ago (The Campgrounds 1), but they are nothing alike. It took me about 3 weeks to make, and most of the sprites and maps were made with RPGMaker and then slightly altered in paint.net. The story has many references to the Jackeryz community and every character in the game is a member of it.

I didn’t plan on sharing this game yet since it isn’t really finished, so just consider this game to be in beta! There are many bugs, sprite errors, and grammar mistakes (on top of the story being kind of underdeveloped), but I think its a pretty original idea.

Here are some images from the game:

Here is some boring lore: (NOTE: This was very rushed, and is probably subject to change)
After the campgrounds massacre of 2021 (The Campgrounds 1), the founder of the camp, jackeryz, hosts a funeral on the premises of the new campgrounds. During the funeral however, a mysterious figure appears, informing everyone that the campers can still be saved. That figure turns out to be the executer of the massacre, but not the mastermind behind it.
It turns out the souls of the campers are still out there in the castle of the main villain, who wants to use them to take over the whole world. But there is a wizzard who can revert the souls into their original bodies. The campers must thus take off on a journey to defeat the main villain, bring back the old campers, and save the world.

12 Likes

You have really outdone yourself, this feels like a real game! For a second I even forgot it was a roblox game! Played it for a good 20m and the plot is wonderful!

2 Likes

Not bad, did you create the pixel art? the Ui and art don’t seem to fit very well.

in my opinion it seems that the UI and art really look nice together.

1 Like

I used RPG Maker’s character generator and map maker for the pixel art.

As for the GUI elements, I just used paint. net. I should probably use some other software like Adobe Illustrator, since I’ve been getting mixed reactions about it. I guess now that I look at it it looks pretty sloppy and out of place.

2 Likes

I’ve got a ton of feedback. Note that I don’t think I’ve played the first game here, but yeah. This is also a major thing you’ve done, the game is amazing, but has some things I’d like to talk about. Played on PC keyboard mouse. Does it support Xbox or Mobile? I could also try it on that if so.

At the spawn, after messing with the controls (WASD and Shift) I went into the trees and sometimes I couldn’t move in some directions.

The music is awesome. I love it, mostly. That pipe sound effect thing from what I assume to be beepbox really just annoys me.

For choosing a name, I wasn’t able to simply click on the letters. Arrow keys also did not work. I’d recommend adding support for those. I’d also make the players name by default the, well, the players name. For example, my name on Roblox is Reditect so by default I feel that should be the name. That’s a QOL change. Deleting characters one by one is also a bit of a pain, but yeah.

For choosing a weapon, I don’t know what each one does. What are the pros and cons of each?

Fighting:

• The music is awesome
  • Tutorial things is nice, but it didn’t actually force me to do what I was supposed to. I clicked fight when it said for me to go to items to see what would happen. Wumbity just said good job or something like that even though I didn’t do what I was supposed to.
  • The dodging of the opponents attacks was awesome as well. A little challenging as I’ve never player Undertale before or a game similar.

After being able to freeroam, I noticed there wasn’t an objective UI on the screen. I would have loved that. Some end up forgetting what they need to do. Would be good to have in a pause menu, the objective.

A pop-up or some UI should show how to interact with NPCs. You can press either E or Enter, but yeah. I was also able to speak to NPCs from behind. Not a bad thing, maybe that’s actually a good thing, I just expected to only be able to speak from the front of someone. I feel like the person should turn to the player and then turn back when dialogue is done.

Small thing. Not sure if this blue-ish thing was meant to be there:

I’m assuming it’s just the flowers or foliage.

The footstep sound effects got quieter when I was walking from mid to any side in the camp area where you’re told to free-roam. This might be intentional, but why have the sound get quiet that way?

The music during scene 6. That music caught me off guard. It’s used a ton in memes if you didn’t know so it felt weird being in this game. The whole scenes thing also reminds me of the old Assassins Creed games. Maybe that’s a trope or common thing for old games or certain genres, but yeah. Scene 6 is hard. I felt like I couldn’t predict anything. It felt like luck really for guessing where damage bits where. I can’t skip dialogue so I just had to sit through stuff before I could try again. Finally got past it. I stayed at the top left corner mostly and that made it easier.

Scene 7. The battle is harder. Love the coin puns. Trying to speak reason to JMoney causes an error:

Despite there being a ‘Load Game’ button in the main menu after rejoining, it was greyed out. Was there a saving system in the game at all? The game should autosave after each scene. There didn’t seem to be a pause menu or anything I could do to save myself.

So, I guess that’s where my journey ends for now. I’ll pick the game back up eventually and complete it, but there needs to be many QOL changes. Saving, skipping, auto vs manual, text speed?, ect.

Conclusion: The game is challenging and amazing, but ultimately has many flaws that stop it from being something many could enjoy.

1 Like

this game is SICK ! :fire: :fire: :fire: This doesn’t even look like a ROBLOX game at all, it looks like a game that would be on steam of some sorts.