The car tutorial using Constraints is broken

Issue Description

This was a great video tutorial that explained the basics of how to use Constraints to build a car.
The videos don’t play.
The content links are broken.

There should also be a link on the create.roblox.com page to this tutorial as there isn’t anything listed for making cars anymore.

Issue Area: Documentation Content
Page URL: Building a Basic Car

5 Likes

For anyone looking to use that tutorial while it’s broken, there’s a fully functional capture in the Wayback Machine:

2 Likes

Thanks for the report. I filed a ticket to our internal database.

2 Likes

Hello @Scottifly, thank you for reaching out. This tutorial is no longer on the documentation site in favor of more in-depth explanations through curriculum paths. We have some new content coming out soon, but regarding constraints, I’d recommending checking out our guides on Mechanical Constraints and Mover Constraints.

Yeah, the issue I have with your ‘curriculum paths’ is that it’s on a very fact based system that explain each property, but it doesn’t help new Robloxians understand how those properties work together, or with other constraints.

The tutorials you guys used to have were very in-depth visually and contained excellent explanations of how to change values and what those values do, and where they are all in Studio. Most people don’t learn simple or complex systems by tossing them a bunch of facts. Anyone just learning this stuff greatly appreciated when someone would post the link to a tutorial that walked them through the steps.

Imagine you were learning Luaa with just documentation. I’ve tried researching your code explanations on create.roblox.com and from my background (I learned BASIC back in the mid-eighties) I can understand what each of the items does, but in many cases it’s a just one line explanation that doesn’t really tell me anything about how to implement them.

It would make more sense to me to have the answers readily available with tutorials made for basic items like vehicles, that everyone making these items when they start out in Roblox could have access to.

It almost seems to me that you guys are driving the website toward older, more experienced programmers when in the past it’s been an easy and fun way for kids to learn how to make a video game and not discourage them from learning.

Try handing the average kid who’s kind of interested in math a textbook on calculus and expecting them to understand it and not lose interest half way through the first chapter…

I appreciate your feedback. Just to make sure we’re talking about the same thing, are you referencing either the Core or Environment Art curriculum? I’m interested in hearing your perspective on if/how they feel inapproachable, and am happy to forward that feedback to the correct team.

I acknowledge that this isn’t quite the same thing, but you might also find Building a Ferris Wheel useful for learning more about constraints.

Those are good tutorials, but what I was referring to is the Roblox Engine API Reference.
To me many of the descriptions seem like they’re written for someone who knows what the item is already and just needs a definition of how to utilize the parameters within their code.

Also many of the links put in the “descriptions” of the items just give a list of what the 0, 1, 2 etc. values of the parameters are for the item without an actual description of what they do.

I’m suggesting a more detailed but ‘written for dummies’ type of explanation, with a few simple examples thrown in to help teach users.

For example:

PrismaticConstraint

A PrismaticConstraint creates a rigid joint between two Attachments, allowing them to slide along one axis but not rotate. This constrains the attachments so that their X axes are collinear but pointing in opposite directions. It also constrains the attachments so that their Y axes are parallel.

(my suggestion: A PrismaticConstraint creates a sliding joint between two Attachments aligned on their Y axis, while not allowing the Attachments to rotate in relation to each other. It can be used for items like elevators or moving platforms to transport players from one spot to another, or in car suspension components allowing a wheel to move up and down but stay aligned with the vehicle chassis.)

This constraint inherits many properties from SlidingBallConstraint including ActuatorType, LimitsEnabled, Velocity, and more. Please refer to SlidingBallConstraint for details on configuring a PrismaticConstraint.

When configuring this constraint, it may be helpful to study Roblox Units to understand how Roblox units compare to metric units.

Summary

Properties

Properties inherited from SlidingBallConstraint

ActuatorType: ActuatorType

Sets whether the translation of the SlidingBallConstraint is actuated and, if so, what kind of actuation.

(my suggestion: How the constraint’s sliding movement is controlled. It can be set to None, allowing it to slide freely, Motor, which can give a constant push in 1 direction, or Servo, which allows the constraint’s TargetPosition on the Y axis to be set.)

CurrentPosition: number

The current offset between the constraint’s Attachments.

(my suggestion: The current distance between the constraint’s Attachments)

READ ONLY

NOT REPLICATED

LimitsEnabled: boolean

Sets whether the SlidingBallConstraint (Why would this link be here? Yes it’s similar but this is the PrismaticConstraint description) will limit the range of translation.

(my suggestion: Sets a limit of how far the Attachments can slide along the Y axis of the constraint)

LinearResponsiveness: number

Specifies the “sharpness” of the linear servo motor in reaching the TargetPosition. Larger values correspond to faster a response and smaller values results in more damping and a slower response.

(my suggestion: When the ActuatorType is set to Servo it controls how quickly the acceleration acts when trying to reach the constraint’s Speed, and the deceleration of the Speed when reaching the constraint’s TargetPosition. Larger values give a faster response and smaller values result in more damping and a more gradual acceleration and deceleration.)

Hehe, wanna hire me as a writer for your Creator Hub Documentation? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

If I’m understanding you correctly, it seems like you’re wanting a guide instead of an API reference document. Guides are more visual in nature, and provide examples on what you’d use the feature for. For example, the Mechanical Constraints and Mover Constraints guides contain visual reference and more information on what different properties can do. I hope this helps, thanks again for your feedback.

Correct.
Like I said, the reference document is good if you know what you’re doing and how the item fits into your usage.
My thought is that it would be nicer and easier to read if it was written in simpler terms that would help out someone using that item for the first time.

I gues it’s because I get frustrated when I try to get more info on an item that doesn’t have a Guide. It’ll have links to some Property that I need more information on. That links up to a page that tells me what the enum names are for that Property and the corresponding 0, 1, or 2 values but doesn’t explain what they do or the differences between them.