The command bar should be able to access the GameScript Lua State

As a Roblox Developer, it is currently impossible to access the GameScript State with the command bar in Studio.

This makes it very difficult to debug state tables that were set by a script in game, because the command bar itself creates a new copy of the module (because it’s running under the Command Bar State). This reflects for everything else in that context.

A good example of this would be the ChatService, even though FilteredStudio is clearly a speaker that exists, the Command Bar cant access it because it runs in it’s own Luau VM State;

If this issue is addressed, it would improve my development experience because it would make it much easier to debug modules, without having to stop and write new tests that would take more effort to be invoked. Being able to just write a command at runtime that has access to the same state as the other scripts, is much easier.

Sidenote: this feature already exists in Internal Studio so I cant imagine it would be too hard to bring back down to us developers. (not my image so pls dont hurt me)

9 Likes