The Eden Framework | Powerful, Lightweight & Flexible

The Eden Framework

Github: https://github.com/Stratiz/Eden

Eden is a lightweight & flexible module aggregator framework designed to grow with you. Populate the framework with your own utilities, modules from other frameworks, etc., and Eden will accept it with ease!

Eden has powered millions of visits across Roblox in games ranging from hardcore FPS to simulators and tycoons.

The primary goal of Eden is to eliminate the common hassle when it comes to over-complicated Roblox frameworks. Eden keeps it lean and straightforward by providing a flexible, essentialistic foundation for you and your team to build your project in a rapid iteration environment like Roblox.

Eden is designed to be used with Rojo but can easily be implemented without it.

Table of Contents

Features

• Beginner friendly

Due to Eden’s flexible design, the learning curve is minimal and is perfect for teams onboarding new developers or studios looking for a consistent and predictable framework.

Eden is designed to be as predictable as possible, meaning there’s no room for unexpected behavior or tedious edge cases.

• Module Aggregation for simple requiring

Eden is a module aggregator framework, which means it takes all of the modules in the provided directories and caches them so they can be accessed with less hassle.

A module require in Eden looks like this: shared("ModuleName")

shared() is used as an alternate require() function, so you don’t need to require the require module in every module in the game.

You can also require instances directly with shared() if needed. Example: shared(script.Folder.Module)

• Auto Initialization

Another helpful feature that exists in Eden is the auto initialization of functions in priority order.

By putting an :Init() method in your module, Eden will automatically call this method in the order you specify by defining an optional Priority variable in the module table when the game starts. The higher the priority number, the sooner the module will run. You can disable this functionality with the Static directory feature (see guidelines below) or with the Initialize parameter.

• Cyclical module detection

While Roblox attempts to detect cyclicals between modules, it fails in some conditions. Especially in the presence of as yeilding function such as :WaitForChild(), which results in a infinite hang with no warning. Silent cyclical hangs are bothersome, as they cause your game to break silently and take time to find.
Thankfully, Eden will automatically detect and warn you if this occurs.

NOTE: Due to current Luau limitations, a module that surpasses the LOAD_TIMEOUT time will lose any Luau optimizations during that run session.

• Hang detection

Sometimes code can infinitely yield silently, and it’s essential to know when this issue occurs. Therefore, Eden monitors the execution times of your modules and will warn you if one is taking too long.

• Flexible file structure

Eden doesn’t care how you organize your modules. You can put all of your modules directly under your root folders or create infinite subfolders. Eden is built to be flexible; make it your own!

Parameters

All parameters are optional.

• Priority : number (Default: 0)

An int that specifies the order in which the :Init() method is called on game start. The higher the priority, the sooner it will run. Negative ints are also allowed and will run after everything else.

• Initialize : boolean (Default: true)

Specifies whether or not the :Init() function is called if present. Suitable for disabling modules.

In the event these parameters collide with parameters in one of your modules and you want to isolate them, you can put them in a InitParams dictionary and the properties in the root of the module will be ignored

Example:

local module = {
   InitParams = { -- These will be used by Eden instead.
     Priority = 20
     Initialize = false
   }

Priority = 1 -- Eden will ignore this because InitParams is present.
}

return module

Guidelines

Eden is designed to have as few quirks as possible while giving you a reliable foundation to work on.

1. Modules with the same name should be required by a path string instead of its raw name

If you have two modules in the project with the same name (except for each one being in different run contexts), Eden will warn you that it doesn’t know which one to use. To resolve this, reference the file by its file path in the project.

Example: shared("Client/Framework/ModuleName")

1. Modules that you don’t want to be required on runtime must be under a directory named “static”

By default, Eden will require and preload all of the modules under the projects folders when the game starts, if you have a module that isn’t supportive of this behavior, make it a descendant of a folder named Static (not case-sensitive).

For example, I want module X not to be required on game start because I will require it separately later. I can put it under a folder called Static under any of the root project directories such as Client and it will not be required. This is also great for things like roact, which has a crazy amount of unused modules.

1. To use Eden inside of non-module scripts, you cannot reliably use shared()

If you want to use Eden inside of a script that is not a module, you have to require the module directly.

local ReplicatedStorage = game:GetService("ReplicatedStorage")
local require = require(ReplicatedStorage:WaitForChild("SharedModules"):WaitForChild("Eden"))

require("ModuleName")
  1. If you have a module that contains variables the same as that of an optional param, Eden will pick up on it and try to use it.

For example, if you imported a module into Eden that has a Initialize variable in the returned module table, Eden will try to use it, which could cause an error. In this case, you should use the InitParams structure seen above. Alternatively, you could put this file in a static directory and Eden won’t put it through the internal first-time initialization process.

Eden Module

The primary Eden module comes with some useful public methods to interact with the framework.
To access the Eden module, you could either require it the same way as any other module via shared("Eden") or by requiring the instance directly. (ReplicatedStorage.SharedModules.Eden)

Methods

• :AreModulesInitialized() : boolean

Returns whether or not all modules have been initialized. Good for loading screens.

• :AddModulesToInit(addModules : { string | ModuleScript })

Adds modules to the initialization queue that otherwise wouldnt be initialized. Good for conditionally enabling/loading static modules for things like loading modules only under a specific placeId.

• :InitModules(initFirst : {string | ModuleScript}?)

Fires by default in the ServerLoader and ClientLoader scripts.
    Initializes all modules in the context, with the option of explicitly defining what modules will :Init() first with absolute priority.

Properties

• .ModulesInitalizedEvent : Signal

A signal that fires once all the modules have finished initializing.

Types

• Signal

Used to mimic an RBXScriptSignal since they’re not creatable.

Methods:

• :Connect(toExecute : (any) -> ()) → RBXScriptConnection

Connects a callback function to trigger when the signal is fired

• :Once(toExecute : (any) -> ()) → RBXScriptConnection

Connects a callback function to trigger when the signal is fired, and then automatically disconnects itself from the signal.

• :Fire(any)

Invoke all connected callbacks

• :Wait() → any

Yeilds until the Signal is Fire()'d

Config

In the root directory of your repository, there should always be a Eden.config.lua file. This file is the primary user facing configuration for Eden. (File is EdenConfig under Eden for studio users)

• DEBUG_LEVEL : number (Default: 1)

Very useful for getting insight on whats holding up your call stack.
    1 = Errors & Warnings only, 2 = Phase info, 3 = Module timings

• DEBUG_IN_GAME : boolean (Default: false)

If true, will print debug messages to the in-game console. Warnings and errors will always be printed to the in-game console regardless of the state of this option.

• FIND_TIMEOUT : number (Default: 3)

The max amount time in seconds Eden should wait for a module to exist.

• LONG_LOAD_TIMEOUT : number (Default: 5)

The amount of time in seconds Eden should wait before warning and running cyclical checks on modules involved in the call stack.

• LONG_INIT_TIMEOUT : number (Default: 8)

The amount of time in seconds Eden should wait before warning that a modules :Init() function is taking a long time.

• PATH_SEPERATOR : string (Default: “/”)

The character which is used to seperate names in a path. For example, if your path serpator is “/”, then your requires will be shared("Server/Example"), but if its “.”, then your requires would be shared("Server.Example").

• STATIC_DIRECTORY_NAME : string (Default: “static”)

The non-case sensitive folder name Eden should look for when detecting static directories.

• SCRIPTS_AS_STATIC_DIRECTORY : boolean (Default: true)

When true, Eden will treat any type of script instance as a static directory, meaning decendant modules of a module or script wont be automatically required and :Init()'ed

In the event where you want a module’s child modules to go through the automatic Init, you could pass them through :AddModulesToInit()

local module = {}

local Eden = shared("Eden")
    Eden:AddModulesToInit(script:GetChildren())

return module

• PCALL_NON_PRIORITY_MODULES : boolean (Default: false)

If true, all modules that error during :Init() without an explicit Priority parameter set will not break the init chain. Default is set to false as :Init() errors become less visible in the output.

Installation

Rojo/GitHub

If you’re using GitHub workflow (with or without Rojo), you can start using Eden by pressing “Use this template” at the top of the repository.

Studio

If you’re not using a GitHub workflow and want to use Eden in native Roblox Studio, run the following loader code in the studio Command Bar (View > Command Bar) and it will populate studio with the correct modules. You can also use the manual installation guide:

Loader code

Enable HTTP requests by going to [Home → Game Settings → Security → Allow HTTP Requests] in studio (You may disable this after), then paste and run the following code in the command bar [View → Command Bar]:

-- This has intentionally sloppy error handling, if it breaks let it break and report it.
local RawRepoURL = "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Stratiz/Eden/main/"
local GitHubApiURL = "https://api.github.com/repos/Stratiz/Eden/contents/"

local HttpService = game:GetService("HttpService")

local function HttpGet(url : string)
	return HttpService:GetAsync(url)
end

local function MakeFileFromGithub(filename, url, alias)
	print("Fetching", filename)

local FileNameParts = string.split(filename, ".")
	local TrueFileName = FileNameParts[1]

table.remove(FileNameParts, 1)

local FileType = table.concat(FileNameParts, ".")
	local FileContent = HttpGet(url)

local ScriptInstance
	if FileNameParts[#FileNameParts] == "lua" then
		if FileNameParts[#FileNameParts - 1] == "server" then
			ScriptInstance = Instance.new("Script")
		elseif FileNameParts[#FileNameParts - 1] == "client" then
			ScriptInstance = Instance.new("LocalScript")
		else
			ScriptInstance = Instance.new("ModuleScript")
		end
	end

ScriptInstance.Name = alias or TrueFileName
	ScriptInstance.Source = FileContent

return ScriptInstance
end

local function GetGithubFolder(path : string)
	local NewFolder = Instance.new("Folder")
	for _, TargetFile in HttpService:JSONDecode(HttpGet(GitHubApiURL..path)) do
		if TargetFile.type == "dir" then
			GetGithubFolder(TargetFile.path).Parent = NewFolder
		elseif TargetFile.type == "file" then
			MakeFileFromGithub(TargetFile.name, TargetFile.download_url).Parent = NewFolder
		end
	end

return NewFolder
end

local ToParent = {}
local function FindFolder(target, parent)
	for DirectoryName, DirectoryData in pairs(target) do
		if type(DirectoryData) == "table" then
			local ClassName = DirectoryData["$className"]
			if ClassName then
				FindFolder(DirectoryData, parent[ClassName])
			else
				local Path = DirectoryData["$path"]
				if string.match(Path, ".lua") then
					local DirData = string.split(Path, "/")
					local NewFile = MakeFileFromGithub(DirData[#DirData], RawRepoURL..Path, DirectoryName)
					table.insert(ToParent, {Parent = parent, Instance = NewFile})

for key, value in DirectoryData do
						if string.sub(key, 1, 1) ~= "$" then
							FindFolder(DirectoryData, NewFile)
						end
					end
				else
					local NewFolder = GetGithubFolder(Path)
					NewFolder.Name = DirectoryName
					table.insert(ToParent, {Parent = parent, Instance = NewFolder})
					FindFolder(DirectoryData, NewFolder)
				end
			end
		end
	end
end

print("Working...")

local ProjectJson = HttpService:JSONDecode(HttpGet(RawRepoURL.."default.project.json"))
FindFolder(ProjectJson.tree, game)

-- Ensures we only insert instances if everything succeeds
for _, Data in pairs(ToParent) do
	if Data.Instance then
		Data.Instance.Parent = Data.Parent
	end
end

print("Done!")
Manual installation guide
  1. Download the source code by pressing the Code button at the top of the repository and pressing “Download ZIP”

2. Unzip the file and open the “src” folder

3. In the studio, create a folder under ServerScriptService called “ServerModules”, this folder is where you will put all of your server code modules.

4. In studio, create a folder under StarterPlayer -> StarterPlayerScripts called “ClientModules”, this folder is where you will put all of your client code modules.

5. In the studio, create a folder under ReplicatedStorage called “SharedModules”, this folder is where you will put all of your code that needs to be shared between the client and server.

6. In studio, copy and paste the contents of Eden.lua into a ModuleScript called “Eden” under “SharedModules” folder in ReplicatedStorage

7. In studio, copy and paste the contents of Eden.config.lua into a ModuleScript called “EdenConfig” under the “Eden” module in “SharedModules”

8. In studio, copy and paste the contents of ServerLoader.server.lua into a Script called “ServerLoader” directly under ServerScriptService

9. In studio, copy and paste the contents of ClientLoader.client.lua into a Script called “ClientLoader” directly under ReplicatedFirst

10. Done!

Examples & Usage

For native Studio users

If you’re using Eden without a GitHub workflow follow these important guidelines:

1. Server modules will go under ServerScriptService -> ServerModules

2. Shared modules which can be used by client or server will go under ReplicatedStorage -> SharedModules

3. Client modules will go under StarterPlayer -> StarterPlayerScripts -> ClientModules

Code

Here’s an example of a barebones Eden module that makes use of all the parameters and features.

--= Root =--
local Example = {
  -- All of the following parameters are optional.
  Priority = 0, -- The default priority is 0. The higher the priority, the earlier the module will be loaded. Negative priorities are allowed and will always be loaded last.

Initialize = true -- Determines if this modules :Init function will be called. If false, the module will not be initialized. Suitable for disabling modules.
}

--= Dependencies =--

-- If the module has a unique name you don't need to use the path and you can require by name "Example".

--"Shared/Example" is the path to the module. This is the same as the path in the file explorer.
-- Including ---@module ModuleName after the shared require allows LSP to map the variable to the actual module.
local OtherExampleModule = shared("Shared/Example") ---@module Example

--= Initializers =--
function Example:Init() -- This function will be called when the module is initialized. This is also optional.
  -- Do stuff here.
end

--= Return Module =--
return  Example
8 Likes

If you’re going to make such a bold claim, please back it up with a list of experiences that have used this. I have never heard of Eden and it honestly looks like it just came out.

4 Likes

Haha, I figured someone would ask this. Eden’s been around for a couple of years as a private framework and ive recently decided to release it once I was confident in it. I didnt want to bloat the thread with a handful of game URLs, heres a short list:

Thanks for asking!

4 Likes

I don’t use much framework in my games, however I have seen that many people use Knit as their game framework. Can you give me a comparison between the 2? (Eden VS Knit)

1 Like

What I love most about Eden :cherry_blossom: is its simplicity and effectiveness :dart:. It cuts down on the noise :no_entry_sign::loud_sound: and lets me focus on the creative aspects :art: of development, without being bogged down by the tool I’m using. The framework is intuitive :brain:, well-documented :books:, and, most importantly, it just works :white_check_mark:.

For anyone still on the fence :thinking: about trying the Eden Framework, I highly recommend giving it a go :+1:. It might just change your Roblox :video_game: development experience as profoundly as it did mine :star2:.

4 Likes

Honestly I will probably not use this since I rarely use frameworks, however from what I am seeing here, this looks cool, Now we have Eden, Canary, Firework and Knit as tools for devs to build and evolve codebases without having such a mess.

2 Likes

You’ve reached your limit of 10 emojis per day. Please contact your adminstrator for more information! Your emojis will refill in 13 hours, 21 minutes, 56 seconds.

This framework is actually pretty similar to mine (which isn’t public), so I guess it’s good? I think this may be better though. What can this do that other frameworks like CanaryEngine can’t?

11*

However, yeah. I read the docs and looks a lot more cleaner. I’ll see what I think about it later.

1 Like

Once again, another framework without proper typechecking - a necessity in anyone’s workflow.

Expect no one to use this unless you fix these major workflow issues.

5 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. Could you elaborate on the features you’d be looking for?

I wouldn’t say no one, but you’re on the right track.

Based developer, he took the criticism to improve the framework.

1 Like

I will not be using it, however here a few reasons why its just plain bad.

• Janky - I don’t understand why we have to use some obscure method of getting the framework for it to work in roblox

• No Wally Package - If you’re going to supprt Rojo, just make it a wally package. Copying from a template is also janky

• Weird Modules - This sums it up:

1 Like

Thanks again for your input. Let’s chat through some of these.

“Janky” & “Weird Modules” - I believe you’re referring to shared()?

I understand the confusion. For some background, the shared superglobal isn’t a namespace; it’s a native Lua feature whose name can’t be changed. The options in Lua for the name of this variable are between _G and shared. The initial version of Eden used _G but was visually noisy, so it was replaced with shared. These superglobals are used so you don’t have to require the loader in every module script. You also aren’t required to do this; you’re more than welcome to require the loader as you please (similar to Quenty’s nevermore paradigm):

local require = require(ReplicatedStorage:WaitForChild("SharedModules"):WaitForChild("Eden"))

require("ModuleName")

For the actual “Shared” default namespace, the name of this can easily be changed in Eden.lua, you can also add additional namespaces in the loader.

Wally Support

This is an excellent point of feedback; I am open to making it into a Wally package at some point if it’s something users desire.

Is it “plain bad”?

You’re welcome to believe so, but it’s open source. If there’s anything you don’t like, don’t use it or fork it and make it your own. :slight_smile:

I’ve been on this platform for over a decade. I wouldn’t have released it if I hadn’t been confident in Eden’s workflow and benefits on Roblox.

Award-winning studios have used Eden itself, its design, and/or its concepts to create some fantastic products, such as the games listed above and many more. For the past two years, it has been tried and tested. If you gave it a shot, I’m confident you’d see it has some upsides.

2 Likes

Which one of these is the hardcore FPS you mentioned? Roblox Career Center?

(yes this is a joke, I know what you’re referring to.)

1 Like

On a serious note, I am actually surprised an official roblox game used his framework.

I would say it is a bit biased because he is an admin in the career center group.

2 Likes

Well, the context there is that he just put it in. It wasn’t really requested, and nobody at Roblox would know those details. That project started at a very early time in Sawhorse history when we didn’t really have a standardized framework. We do have a proprietary one now, so if we were to do another first-party project like that, we would not be using Eden. I will say that Stratiz did help contribute to the design of our proprietary framework, however the two have major differences (the details of which don’t really matter for this discussion.)

For additional context since many are probably not aware, the Roblox Career Center was a project developed by Sawhorse Interactive, who Stratiz worked for at the time and I currently work for. Roblox contracted Sawhorse to make it and did not provide any developers, just direction and requirements.

4 Likes

:rofl: Nice one thats preeeety funny :rofl: