The ESC Key Won't Open the In-Game Menu While Play-Testing

Greetings everyone,

I have noticed this bug from quite a time now, but never has it been so much more annoying and awkward now.

I tried my best to minimize the length of the topic while maximizing information so that the engineers can get a good glimpse of the bug fast. Also, screenshots/videos are quite useless as the bug is about something not happening via an external input.

Details

1. Whenever I test my game in Studio, the in-game menu (which you get by pressing the esc key) does not open via that keystroke.

• However, it does open by simply clicking the hamburger icon.
    • Happens with both the tests done under the “Home” (solo) and “Test” (server + client) tabs.
    • Happens 100% time in Studio.
    • I made sure that Studio’s window was focused while pressing esc, but there was no luck.
  2. What if we wanted to edit something via the Explorer or Properties windows while testing? Well if you’re in a first-person test, then you need to free the mouse first. The easiest way is opening the in-game menu. Instead of simply opening the in-game menu by pressing esc to free your mouse, you’d have to do the longer keyboard shortcut cntrl + shift + x or cntrl + shift + p to focus the filter workspace and filter properties textboxes, respectively, and free the mouse from there. As seen esc is much faster.

Thank you for reading my bug report,
and Happy Mother’s Day!

3 Likes

It does work, you just have to disable this setting in studio

15 Likes

For anyone else bothered by the fact that you can’t end a test with Shift+F5 and free the mouse with Esc at the same time with this option (you have to pick one ability or the other) or want to use other Studio shortcuts while testing, you can unbind Esc as a shortcut in Studio so it won’t sink inputs and you can leave “Respect Studio shortcuts when game has focus” enabled.
Here’s how:
In Studio open File>Advanced>Customize shortcuts… then search either “clear selection” or “ESC” in the search box, double click the box in the “shortcut” column of the “clear selection” row, right-click and click “clear shortcut” then click ok.

Then make sure that the option @wevetments showed is enabled and then restart Studio. This will enable you to open the Roblox menu with the Esc key and to still use other Studio shortcuts like Shift+F5.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.