The Explorer (and Box Selection) is now Faster!

I have also received the issues @rinyafii, @Zomebody, and @BendsSpace have been encountering ever since the new update. An issue I have also dealt with recently is the box selection not updated when I have duplicated the part. For example:

As you can see here I duplicated the original part, however the selection box does not follow the new part. Afterwards I attempt to recolor the new part to red, but instead it colors the original part red. I delete the red block but I can still adjust the size of the new partā€¦

3 Likes

Does this have anything to do with why textures dont copy and paste directly onto a part anymore?

2 Likes

Just came back to this topic just because of this

They fix something and always gotta break something in the process, without fail smh.

I also sometimes get objects completely going off in the distance when I try to copy, paste, and drag them.

(Animated mock-up recreation because it doesnā€™t want to happen when Iā€™m actually recording)

8 Likes

Great update, definitely noticing a lot of improvements in terms of performance!

Unfortunately, Iā€™m running into so many issues that itā€™s causing work to be very frustrating.
Iā€™m encountering a bug around every 30 seconds while building.

Here is a list of issues:

• Duplicated a model and deselected it, then shortly after selected it in the explorer, the newly duplicated model cannot be selected AT ALL.
  • Duplicated a part and moved, rotated it, etc. then tried to delete it. It deleted the og model instead of the duplicated. The scale handles were stuck floating in the workspace forever UNLESS you manually use the ā€œselectā€ tool and click into an empty spot in your project. Esc key doesnā€™t work to deselect when this happens.
  • Duplicating causes the bounding box to often stay on the old object while you have handles to adjust the new object - makes it impossible to scale a part inside of another part, for example, because you canā€™t see the edge of your new part.
  • Duplicated a part, scaled the new part, changed to ā€œmoveā€ tool and then the old part moves instead.

Duplication is a very basic necessity that is currently causes too many issues - I have had to fix quite a few errors this update has caused me to make. I will leave bug reports as well, but I just wanted to address these here in hopes this can be reverted for the time being.

2 Likes

Thank god someone else is having this issue. Hoping this is addressed soon, because itā€™s been driving me a little mad trying to do about anything recentlyā€¦

4 Likes

Iā€™ve noticed that ever since this came out, dragging around imported meshes with the select tool (imported after this update specifically) is janky as hell. The first attempt of dragging it will teleport it so far that pressing F shows a black screen, but then the second attempt is ā€œfixedā€. After that, dragging around the object will sometimes have the selection box be extremely inaccurate and itā€™ll weirdly ā€œdetachā€ from the cursor occasionally. Some posts above do a better job of explaining.

We identified the issue causing the bugs with decal insertion and the dragging bug and will be disabling that specific change. You might see hits in selection performance (specifically, performance of selection in the viewport itself), but plenty of the improvements can be kept enabled.

9 Likes

Ok soā€¦ I have 29,726 parts in my game (Found from code)

Will 29,726 crash studioā€¦ Even worse destroy my computer?? Or am I fine?

1 Like

Should be fine, dunno now after one of the fixes had to be disabled though! I expect mostly fine, this was one of the smaller improvements.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s part of this update, but I noticed everything loads in faster now when I delete the entire map and paste it back in to refresh the materials. This is huge for me.

1 Like

Itā€™ll certainly be a little sluggish, but youā€™re computer isnā€™t going to explode from it.

The team behind this isnā€™t the same team behind that update.

2 Likes

@Dogekidd2012, @kirazeee325 Donā€™t know if itā€™s this or the selection update thatā€™s causing it but my fps now tanks when hovering my mouse over anything. Itā€™s a pain in the derriere trying to build anything :neutral_face:

Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon graphics @3.90GHz
48GB DDR4 RAM (47.9 usable) @3200MHz
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070Ti

Watch my CPU usage go up when I start moving my cursor over things:

Happens when in testing mode too using your weapons system but itā€™s like 100x worse:

1 Like

Can you show your microprofiler at the same time as hovering over? (Ctrl+F5)

Also, does this happen without any plugins?

Happens without plugins, hereā€™s a screenshot of my microprofiler around when the lag happens but not sure how useful it is, can send a proper microprofiler dump. Also jsyk itā€™s ctrl + f6

In edit mode:

In playtesting:

Edit: never mind, found it, hereā€™s MP dump from in studio:
microprofile-20230208-194114.html (5.8 MB)

In playtesting (need to compress it as itā€™s >10mb, although not 100% sure whether or not this is useful)
microprofile-20230208-194309.zip (2.7 MB)

Not able to access it though?

1 Like

Need to send a dm to bug support

2 Likes

Great, I have worked on projects in the past with very many parts. And I have always been frustrated with the slowness of the explorer

1 Like

@MCWither_Storm were you able to dm bug support? You shouldnā€™t need any special permissions to do so.

1 Like

ROBLOX Studio ONLY uses one CPU core? Well, that explains its slowness.

3 Likes