The future of immersive communication on Roblox

why would any real player use this

2 Likes

Whoever conjured this ill-thoughted concoction into reality needs to be fired immediately.

1 Like

Thanks a bunch this actually helped alot and actually works now lol. Though I still encounter a few bugs.

1. Sometimes it just refuses to “load” like in some places it works in others it doesn’t? (Even if the requiremenets are 100% met)
  2. I wanted to use the camera manipulation from the resource but I literally can’t read that code at all so I fail to make any modifications XD somehow it affects gravity in my place. I think they should doc that too :question:

I want to add my own places to this aswell but for some reason that just refuses to work SMH

1 Like

Will there ever be a way to block calls without having to block or unfriend anyone? This is kind of an annoying issue, there has to be a way to close them. Please consider adding an option ASAP as many developers and players will suffer from this.

3 Likes

Hey, I like the feature and other developers that use Roblox might have a use for it, but for me, I do not see myself using this with the current moderation revolving around voice chat. Honestly, it’s too risky for me to put my account on Voice Chat as I’m scared to get banned from Roblox for something dumb or anything like that.

I had to uninstall the application on my IOS device, as there is no setting to disable it. As your documentation says, it’s only for Andriod as seen on your roblox faq.

“if a user does not want to receive a call, you can unfriend or block a contact directly from the phone book or from your friend’s list on Roblox”

What if we want to disable the feature all together? The solve this issue myself, I’ve just completely uninstalled the application and await for somebody in the Roblox Staff team working on this, to hopefully release an update on this issue.

2 Likes

From looking over it it isn’t as simple as “phone app”. Since devs can put any private server access code, you can call from your base or house or even create private lobbies for call sessions. At the moment it appears calls only support 1 on 1 conversations but the methods seem to support more users. This is more like a new attempt at a party system which is cool. I do hope we get to include our own TeleportOptions so we can include data for the teleport.

Looking forward to where this goes. For anyone trying to get bare minimum work, make sure you define SocialService.OnCallInviteInvoked. Finding that took me a bit

Cool. Another feature that will fade into the background because everyone uses the likes of Zoom, Discord, Slack, MS Teams etc

6 Likes

Uh oh. I do not see how this could help us in development.

1 Like

Its almost as if every tech company is copying eachother for their ideas but who ever had the idea first is always going to be the one everyone ends up using anyway.

3 Likes

There’s a lot to social apps and good marketing behind them. Discord did a banger of a job replacing Skype. There’s just no way Roblox can compete with what Discord offers.

4 Likes

unfortunately I haven’t made much progress but I guess it’s some what there.

I have no idea how to fix this or anything. I hope someone can help me out tho :stuck_out_tongue:

thanks for wiretapping our phone calls for our safety

6 Likes

There are so many flaws with this…

One flaw being that somebody somehow forgot to anchor the radio prompt.

Yeah… I’m never using this.

Global voice chat when??

1 Like

You must be from United states to get voice chat if your phone number verified. It’s still a beta feature I guess. :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Hi Mxthis! Thanks for reaching out. When you open Roblox Connect in Studio, you’ll need to ensure that the starting place is named “Roblox Connect” and have the “Forest” and “Island” places added to your universe.

1 Like

Roblox Connect and Calling is a huge misstep and miscalculation of what users and developers want from the platform. The platform is no longer about “What will you build?” or “Powering Imagination” where Roblox’s bread and butter is. Now its management unquestionably following David Baszucki’s “vision” for the platform which totally doesn’t have ulterior motives that users and developers have almost majoritarily shown disapproval and disliking to.

I’m not going to say “old Roblox is better” or “old Roblox is bad” because neither are entirely true, but its getting extremely more and more difficult to try and justify many of the recent changes to the platform throughout the past few years, particularly rolling out new features and killing off older features. This is a perfect example of such difficulty.

David Baszucki may be iconic and loved within the Roblox community, but he along with the management team are the reasons for this. It is after all his vision that they’re following despite their constant attempts of saying that it’s “our” (company wide) vision. The solution is to find a competent set of people to replace the management and CEO positions that will correctly re-evaluate the course the platform and corporation has been taking throughout the past few years.

(PS: I’d rather use X’s Audio and Voice call feature instead of Roblox Connect any day of the week. That’s just how bad this new feature is. No one wants it and it doesn’t align with what people want from the platform.)

10 Likes

This is NOT going into the correct way.
Not only do those avatars look cursed, but the complete idea of calling someone on ROBLOX is just insanely unnecessary.
There are a lot of other great features that should be added instead of that. The requested features forum has a bunch of them.

2 Likes

Had to log out of Roblox on my phone because I was getting calls and there’s no way to disable them??? Surely this wasn’t done intentionally right???

1 Like

Ya, this is stupid and actually breaking Apples term of service because you can’t silence this and you have to be able to silence ANY app.

4 Likes