The future of immersive communication on Roblox

How do I disable this feature? I do not want to be called on Roblox.

17 Likes

Currently enjoying the soyjaks in the replies here (obvious sarcasm).

I think this is a great feature. Being able to call people through Roblox instead of needing to use a 3rd party platform like Discord or Guilded is far more handy. Please continue this!

5 Likes

cant wait to see memes about whatever is this

7 Likes

This is a VERY unusual feature I must say.
It looks fun, I donā€™t know how I would use it, but it looks fun.

I cannot imagine lots of developers making use of it, but for those who do it might be a neat feature.
So uhhhā€¦ Roblox is sorta like a virtual Skype now I guess? Where your real facial movements are translated to avatar movement?

Certainly an interesting update, but pretty unusual.

8 Likes

Good I guess, but I highly disapprove of this update. Itā€™s gonna have so many issues and concerns, and frankly, I donā€™t see why we should use this when we have Discord or literally any other platform to communicate instead

Itā€™s gonna shift attention away from the main game. Letā€™s focus on the platforms that are made exclusively for communication

11 Likes

Kind of a strange update? I think if it were more of a renewal of the old Roblox chat parties feature itā€™d be a much bigger hit.

There doesnā€™t seem to be calling functionality baked into the Roblox Core GUI or universal apps and thatā€™s the only way I would see myself using it. - On the bright side though, at least it isnā€™t being immediately forced onto users without proper testing.

Also, Iā€™m not comfortable sharing my voice logs when Iā€™m in a ā€œprivateā€ call with my friend. And ideally if I already had their SMS contact, this would be fully end-to-end encrypted.

12 Likes

I do not think this a feature that should have been prioritized. Roblox should be prioritizing features that benefit their developers. If someone wants to call their friend, they call their friend. Playing a game and calling someone are completely different things. Previously, if someone wanted to show their character to their friends, they joined a game. Joining games benefits developers.

Please shift the priorities back to putting tools in the hands of developers.

11 Likes

Fascinating choices being made here. Who exactly was this feature developed for? I guess you dont know if thereā€™s a user base until you try, but this feels a bit silly.

Also no way to disable this in your user settings, surely nothing could go wrong, right?

I really think the scope of Roblox is big enough right now. Slow down with the fluffy metaverse virtual Walmart virtual meeting room stuff and focus on solidifying what youā€™re doing well already. Stick to game engine, community management, and education for a few years. Thereā€™s gaping holes here already, and youā€™re rapidly making new ones.

53 Likes

You are a gaming platform. Never forget that.

The Roblox engine is a really capable engine but its being held back by this obsession of being a social platform for no apparent reason?

Social features are useful for Roblox, but I feel like the platform is putting social features over the engine itself.

21 Likes

me when the platform that wonā€™t let me curse with my friends over voice chat is ever going to be anything close to a replacement to discord or guilded orā€¦ yā€™know, a phone

24 Likes

Just tested it and it literally doesnā€™t work in-studio/on published places D:

8 Likes

I think itā€™s a bit to much to say that this update is ā€œBadā€, but the only problem I see is people abusing this. Which you did say that you will be able to block someone from calling nā€™ all that stuff.

Iā€™ve also seen people talk about this to make investors happy which I donā€™t think is a bad thing. Because Roblox gets paid sooooā€¦!

This feature is a good idea, and I see why it was added. Before this feature, if you wanted to call someone, you had to call via Phone or use Discord/Guilded. This takes people off of Discord and makes the community safer.

If I had friends, then this update would be great! (I donā€™t have friends :sob:) But I donā€™t soā€¦ THIS IS THE WORST UPDATE EVER!!! :rage: :rage:

( You know Iā€™m just joking. Love you Roblox :kissing_smiling_eyes: )

9 Likes

bro this update goes hard :fire::fire:

now i can call my gf while im playing adopt me without even having to leave the app!

9 Likes

I actually think this feature is really cool and shows a lot of potential. People obviously didnā€™t ask for it, but there are definitely games it could be helpful in. Imagine being able to actually call up one of your friends to fight you in a ring or something. Neat.

Some feedback for the team:

• It needs to be a lot faster. Going from ā€œaccept callā€ to ā€œplaying gameā€ takes way too long.
  • There needs to be a way to disable this or block calls from people. Very open to spam currently.
7 Likes

In all fairness, Roblox has always been a social game (Marketing itself as an Online Social Hangout as early as 2009). That being said though, I think they keep adding features to try and compete with corporations like social media giants, without really thinking about the safety of their younger audience on the platform.

11 Likes

Has its ups and downs but from a developer perspective, blatantly useless. Yeah itā€™s like a Roblox FaceTime but the odds of people genuinely using this as a way for VC is pretty low as people may slip up on a call as it is a 1 to 1 thing which could result in account moderation. Thereā€™s tons of other platforms designed for calling such as FaceTime, discord, etc and the time taken to make this happen could have been spent on something much more productive like maybe enhancing the moderation system :sob::pray:. I will admit, the concept of a Roblox call using your avatars as a Face is pretty cool on paper but when you look at all the alternatives and effectiveness of this, yeahā€¦.

18 Likes

wait who is going to use this feature ? people have snapchat and that so why not just use that. I kinda get why they would do it but everyone uses the app to play games which is what it is made for not to call people . roblox is kinda forgetting about how they have such a young audience . if you go on vc games there are so many kids now like how i thought vc and calling needed id roblox is just wasting their time making these features

10 Likes

Roblox is immersive and has not only games, but also other experiences. Also, the experiences are not everything, Roblox is always a platform. And I think this feature is wonderful for that.

13 Likes

Such a useless feature, love it.

18 Likes

Turn notifs off in device settings

11 Likes