The future of immersive communication on Roblox

What even is this feature…
Who asked for this really?
Do you guys want to enable predators in this site even further, has the mask finally fallen off?

3 Likes

I’d invite you to look at the platform’s “Discover” page to see the volume of “games” vs. “experiences”, or even visit the Roblox Creator Hub where on the main page of the “Experience Design” subsection they call developers “game designers” for a view on what the platforms priorities look like.

1 Like

All of this yet no meaningful updates to spatial voice?

1 Like

I agree. There is a lot of room for improvement in terms of allocation of resources on this platform especially in the moderation department.

1 Like

This feature was not requested nor will the majority of the player-base use this most likely.

(Incoming rant)
This feels like an ongoing trend recently, like the ad manager being added which only serves to make large companies have an easier time making ads, but takes away from your own developers that use the platform. It overcomplicates it and takes away from the ease of access it had originally, especially for indie developers on tight budgets.

While new features are getting added, its beginning to feel more and more corporate and that you are appeasing more to your investors or to other companies than to your own player-base. I feel like these resources could be better spent on engine improvements, optimizations, or features like dynamic meshes and images which developers could have a lot more potential uses for.

Furthermore most of our criticism on updates like these feels brushed off or unaddressed and it makes it difficult for me to have faith in future updates. What if all 2d clothing was removed next? Or gamepasses cost real currency? What faith do I have that an update won’t release completely changing how I use the engine? With no backwards compatibility on a lot of changes, I feel like I’m forced to keep updating and fixing games that I’ve made in the past, unlike other engines where swapping between previous versions allows developers to keep their games published without fear of potentially game breaking updates.

I like some of these new updates, but trying to be the metaverse when most of the platform is children who play simulator games isn’t going to work out. Furthermore making games for older audiences almost never reaches the same playercount as games made for very young children and is extremely disheartening when you spend hours of your time on something that most players won’t ever see.
(I know your “metrics” say you have a lot more older audiences, but its most likely just children setting their account age much higher so their chat isn’t as filtered. And if there were more older audiences playing, a lot more niche games would have considerably higher player-counts)

Sorry for the rant, but I feel like our opinions and needs aren’t being met all the time as developers, and I’ve considered leaving Roblox several times to publish games on things like Steam where the hard work put in can at least be appreciated, found, or encouraged.

13 Likes

This is weird.
Curious how this got on the drawing board; still weird.

While it is neat we have new features, I don’t actually get the benefit of this one.

1 Like

I’ve seen this metaverse thing that Roblox is trying to be thrown around quite a bit.
Roblox has tried to be a lot of things over the course of its history.
Its tried to be Lego but online,
Its tried to be Facebook,
Its tried to be Minecraft,
Its tried to be Steam,
Now its trying to be Metaverse - a thing that a lot of people are also wondering why that exists as well but this time roblox is trying to really force its company into emulating.

1 Like

Meanwhile I still use “places” half the time over either of those terms just because of muscle memory, been around here way too long lol…

The other replies here make me glad I’m not verified, as there doesn’t appear to be any way to disable the feature and I do need to use my phone for family things (they don’t even use discord, nevermind roblox of all things) frequently enough that if I did I would’ve uninstalled the app earlier today to be sure I don’t get any unnecessary calls.

2 Likes

Hi Rockerite! Thank you for posting your feedback here. Please see our FAQ regarding your question here.

4 Likes

Adopt me, Welcome to Brookhaven, and Royal High are pretty big examples of popular experiences with no win conditions. Blox Fruits arguably even has no win conditions and is just a social experince with PvP of people hanging out and being pirates with their friends. I hope more of those experiences add face animations and voice chat as some of them are currently missing that.

2 Likes

Hi Tom! Thank you for posting your feedback here. Please see our FAQ regarding your question here.

1 Like

Hi skytimed! Thank you for posting your feedback here. Please see our FAQ regarding your question here.

2 Likes

Hi Ethanthegrand! Thank you for posting your feedback here. Please see our FAQ regarding your question here.

1 Like

Hi TritiumAndDeuterium! Thank you for posting your feedback here. Please see our FAQ regarding your question here.

3 Likes

Hi Otterocket! Thank you for posting your feedback here. Please see our FAQ regarding your question here.

1 Like

Wait, unless I’m reading this wrong; If I don’t want to be called…
I have to…
unfriend or block them?
That’s stupid. Why do I have to lose friends on my list just to opt out of a feature? Why can’t I just turn calling off?

15 Likes

Hi ANDRO! Thank you for posting your feedback here. Please see our FAQ regarding your question here.

Hi LucaDaBoy! Thank you for posting your feedback here. Please see our FAQ regarding your question here.

Hi AWildWooleyWool! Thank you for posting your feedback here. Please see our FAQ regarding your question here.

Is the only way for disabling calling unfriending or blocking someone or is there an alternative way?

1 Like