The future of immersive communication on Roblox

While I don’t entirely mind this feature existing (aside from the obvious security concerns), I’m very confused on why it even exists. How exactly do you “innovate” by putting players in a small game they can chat around in? Who’s going to use this instead of just playing a normal game/using chat and why is it being touted as some kind of groundbreaking immersive feature?

2 Likes

Why do we need this update again?
While we have apps like discord, facetime …etc?

When can roblox actually focus on improving optimization or fixing bugs
And did they actually forgot about

???

11 Likes

Hope there will be a disable button on the users account as well as the game settings menu, some games (tbh would be all) don’t want this feature enabled and can cause bugs/exploits if the feature isn’t handled properly.

3 Likes

Not the issue, the issue is that this team could be working on something actually useful for the platform that actually generates players/revenue, but they are being put on this instead.

3 Likes

This looks like so much fun, I’m glad they are going with this. I hope I can get to test it really soon I want to figure out all the little details on it.

3 Likes

User-base*

Experiences*

This feature is for teenagers and adults, not kids who don’t have access to voice chat in the first place. The userbase of roblox is only going to get older as the platform ages so features like this are great.

4 Likes

How do I disable this feature or at least silence it and turn it into a normal notification like Discord? There are no options for it in account settings, and I can’t disable it on my phone.

This should not be using my actual phone ringtone, and I should be able to disable it.

2 Likes

You say that its for teens but have you seen how many kids have vc?
also that metaverse corporate “userbase*” and “experiences*” isnt that good of a correction. its just basically alternative terms to the same thing. thats like me saying that shut is wrong cause close exists.
also why wouldnt anyone who isnt under 13 just use discord? its far less restrictive, doesnt require a phone number (normally) or id verification and has alot more features like being able to easily send files

7 Likes

turning off all notifications seems to work but idk if theres a specific option for the calls

3 Likes

The funniest thing is even Roblox themselves on occasion still say “games” instead of experiences in official development videos and the API reference.

3 Likes

This could be scary if they don’t add certain restrictions onto it.

2 Likes

Man, if I tell anyone to get on a call in Roblox, I’d be embarrassed as hell. Goofy avatar animation, uncanny AI avatar, and recording your whole dang private 1:1 friend to friend conversation aside. Ain’t no way I’m telling any real life teenagers or adults to use this.

8 Likes

Roblox users are getting older, and i would much rather face time someone on roblox with my feminine presenting avatar rather than face time with someone and show my very much not feminine irl face. I hope we can all do confrence calls on Roblox instead of Zoom in the future :slight_smile:.

Like as roleplaying or just escapism? I can’t think you seriously mean talking to a family member or a coworker like that, it’s not really you is it?

I guess this would be my bone to pick not just with Roblox but the whole “metaverse” thing in general

4 Likes

Tell me this, who is actually gonna use it over other ways of calling people?

4 Likes

I disagree; this is very akin to a third party platform, just taking place in Roblox. Seeing as how calls are 3D spaces that your character moves around in, calling a person would likely require you to stop/leave a game in order to call them. I don’t see how that is “far more handy,” especially with Roblox’s censorship in place.

8 Likes

i don’t even use roblox studio but can you stop focusing on useless stuff like this and more on things like dynamicmesh and dynamicimage, your platform will always be a decade behind if you don’t focus on these stuff

5 Likes

Reading the title, I thought this was going to be about Voice Chat APIs being accessible, for features like team only vc or something. That title really is one of the titles of all time.

Maybe I’m old, it’s really hard for me to imagine Roblox being anything more than a game engine/platform. Games can be used for other purposes like education and tech demos and stuff, but trying to market the whole thing as a “metaverse” or “experiences” – gets a little too corporate or awkward, I guess?

Glaring moderation and safety issues aside, it’s hard to come up with the words to describe how I feel about this update as someone who doesn’t really play Roblox games anymore as an adult, while still being in the platform as a developer.

I understand Roblox has a vision, and it’s growing further and further away from what I grew up knowing Roblox as, which I understand. Even close friends grow apart. But that vision is probably something I’m not going to want my own children to be part of, even when I work within the platform.

7 Likes

Dave fr hit that /e wave like a champ, but I’m just wondering… how come at this point we can virtually video call with people on Roblox, but there’s still no party option? I’d expect that to be one of the first social things implemented in a gaming platform no?

1 Like

But in your bio you have it styled as “roblox”?

1 Like