The LuaApp browser should respect the default browser settings

Reproduction Steps

Open up the Lua App, open the native browser and navigate to a link that is not within the hardcoded url whitelist (you can usually do this with a few links on the help webpage), notice how the browser appears to be Internet Explorer

System Information:

Expected Behavior

When clicking a link in the browser, that is not within Roblox’s URL whitelist, I would expect it to open up in my default browser, namely, Firefox.

Actual Behavior

The browser that is shown is Internet Explorer, the problem here is that Internet Explorer has been officially discontinued by Microsoft and they’ve recommended using Edge.

I believe the reason this happens is because the browser in the app is also Internet Explorer (which is an issue in its own regard)

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Other
Impact: Low
Frequency: Constantly

10 Likes

Can confirm, this happens to me as well.

1 Like

I have a bit of experience with IE, so I can tell you it is not possible to open up a link in your default browser unless you give it special permission to do so.

Luckily, the UWP app shines by not having this same issue. I think it uses a different embedded web browser.

1 Like

I wonder why they built the embedded browser with IE anyway when projects like Chromium exist which are insanely easy to embed with a bit of modification to the original source code.

2 Likes

IE is literally an option in Visual Studio, so it makes sense that they would implement it. However, the UWP app doesn’t use it, which is strange.

1 Like

Honestly I dont know why they don’t just use their api. They have it for about everything. Plus, they have HttpRbxApiService at their disposal.

1 Like

That’s not a browser; that’s an interface to send HTTP requests to endpoints.

2 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ll investigate.

2 Likes