The new UI selection keybind of '\' is causing issues with players who aren't aware of it

In multiple games I’ve played, I’ve heard people chatting “why can’t I move?”. In games like my own this has led me to believe I have a bug that is not unfreezing players… but this is not the case. I had it happen to me and instantly realised what they meant, after I spent a full minute trying to figure out how to untoggle the big blue highlight on one of my UI elements (by trial and error of smashing buttons on my keyboard basically).

I’ve worked with the UI Selection system before and know it can sometimes highlight elements off screen, if this happens with this system then you wouldn’t even have a visual indication it has been triggered.

Players are accidentally hitting “\” (next to Shift (for shiftlock) in the UK, and next to Enter/Return when chatting in the US/Mac) and triggering the new UI selection feature.

The keybind needs a rethink, it should be a setting that you can toggle in the Escape menu and should be default off

People shouldn’t be accidentally toggling this feature and finding themselves stuck.

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Other
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Sometimes

8 Likes

I agree. I honestly do not know why they didn’t just add it as a menu option.

3 Likes

Roblox should really add a notification system to their Menu system that tells the user of recent Roblox related UI changes.

I had the same sort of confusion when playing Roblox VR recently, as Roblox has added a whole new GUI Menu and set of controls to use the menus which I’m not used to, and none of my input worked as expected, which was very frustrating since I wanted to only play a small VR game.

4 Likes

Hi! We’ve added a notification for when users toggle into this mode.

We’re continuing to continue ways to make this more clear to users or allow more control over what core controls a user has enabled.

6 Likes

I’ve noticed this doesn’t respect regional keyboards, the key to disable this on a UK keyboard is the # key (next to enter), not backslash

Pressing backslash does nothing despite what the UI says

1 Like

Yeah unfortunately thats not an issue with this keybind or the UI - it’s with the way that the keyboard is being recognized at a lower level. Other users are having similar issues with scandanavian keyboards. Tried reproing with an emulator and it doesn’t seem to have the same issue so we’ll have to acquire some devices for testing purposes.

Thank you, the notification does a lot to address this issue :raised_hands:

1 Like

I think it’s because the script doesn’t use UserInputService:GetStringForKeyCode

In this case the keycode is always Backslash, and GetStringForKeyCode(Enum.KeyCode.Backslash) should return the right string associated with the physical key on your keyboard that should toggle this. The script that enables this keybind does not call this method because it’s responsible for displaying the key to the user, just binding to it.

If you check the Controls section of the Help menu, it should show you the correct key for your keyboard that will toggle this behavior, because it calls GetStringForKeyCode when displaying keybinds. In the case where the controls section is showing something incorrect (e.g. if controls is showing \ and the key to toggle this is actually #), that’s an error with GetStringForKeyCode.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.