The Plugins tab need a small overhaul

As a developer that actively uses a lot of plugins in studio, it is hard to make sure that all the space that can be used is fully utilized. Roblox doesn’t help with it.

Currently, Roblox has 7 built in plugins that come with each install of studio: Rig Builder, Localization Tools, Accessory Fitting Tool, Avatar Importer, Audio Discovery, Mesh Importer and Animation Editor. Each of them fill their own space as well with some more than others:

With many plugins installed comes the issue of maximizing the space given before we’re forced to live with a scrolling bar.

There are many solutions that Roblox could go with that could save us some estate, here are some of them:

1. Just lump in all Roblox plugins into one section.
    As shown in the screenshot above, some of the plugins take up more space than needed. There are two plugins right next to each other with both labeled “Avatar” that could’ve been put into the same section. Putting them into one category and then just naming them “Roblox built-in plugins” would certainly help with preserving space.

2. Allow for abbreviations of plugin names.
    I have no clue if that is a thing as I am not anywhere near close a lua programmer but I feel like allowing for abbreviations would help to preserve space. Some plugins have incredibly long names and when the plugins section starts to get cramped, they still have as much space as they had beforehand due to their name.

Some examples of long names and the estate they take up

1. Allow devs to disable the built-in plugins.
    As diverse as Roblox built-ins are, we know that not every developer will use every single plugin that Roblox offers to us. Allowing us to disable those plugins in the same place you can do with UGC plugins would help tremendously.

If Roblox were to address this niche issue, this would give developers more space to fit more tools necessary for their development flow and give us more control over the one space in studio that is fully dedicated to our creative control.

40 Likes

I’m happy to see that at least some of Roblox’s tools are being moved away from the Plugins tab.

Thank you for taking the time to address this small but important pain point for some developers. I’m marking this as solved.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.