The recording tools need to be upgraded urgently

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to record videos within Studio and more generally the engine.

The current recording tool directly records the graphics and audio output after processing the game. For games, this is (mostly) fine, but has the issue that dropped or laggy frames get processed as multiple frames. In Studio, I wouldn’t mind the engine running slower when recording to guarantee a perfect 60fps output stream.

The other issue with the Roblox recorder is that it uses wmv. This is an obsolete format. The current standard should be mp4, not to mention that Mac users cant even play wmv files.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because I’d be able to export 60fps videos from Studio that look professional rather than having the chance of frame drops.

26 Likes

One thing that I would like to add to this is that the Roblox video recorder also reduces the resolution of the video while recording. So if you’re running full 1920x1080 HD resolution, Roblox reduces that which can be problematic when recording video to report someone cheating.

4 Likes

LOVE IT!

Tell us more about what use cases you’d show us. Don’t give away all your secret ideas but the more cool stuff you and others want, the more helpful it is!

7 Likes

With a number of games, the developers also have an associated Discord server. So if you see someone cheating, you record the video. However, since Roblox records it in WMV, I have to convert it to MP4 then upload the video to the developer’s Discord server so they can take action against the player. Also, with the reduced resolution, some games which have small text Base Battles is one, they actually recommend that you use a 3rd party screen capture program because video from Roblox’s video recorder is so distorted on the text, they cannot read what the player’s username is.

Another use case (not mine) is uploading videos to YouTube, which is pretty much self explanatory.

3 Likes

Shouldn’t you use external recording software rather than the in-built Roblox recording tool?

It allows you to do anything you want, even export as MP4…? :confused:

It would still be better if the build-in recorder was as good as external recording softwares. I currently use Xbox Game bar to record exploiters and report them to the developers of the games but since Xbox Game bar starts up slowly the exploiters could leave the games even before I record them. The build-in Roblox recorder starts recording much faster. It’s just a slow process to open and use external recording softwares either because of performance reasons or because of the time it takes to open and configure them.

Same applies to recording bugs to report them to the game developers. The bug could just be gone before you start recording with your external recording software.

And as other people mentioned here, you have to convert the WMP videos to MP4 for various reasons. One of my personal reasons is because Discord can’t view WMP videos and most game developers only allow you to report bugs and exploiters on their Discord servers.

1 Like

The whole point of having a recording feature in Roblox is to avoid needing third-party software.

The current recording feature has:

• low resolution
  • .wmv format, unsupported by most devices (it’s proprietary to Microsoft)
    .mp4 is the acceptable standard and can hold higher quality videos.
  • in some cases, a very low framerate

If Roblox would update their recording libraries to a higher resolution and use .mp4 instead of .wmv, it would:

• Increase action on reports: especially with exploiters, it’s hard to see the username when they’re moving around
  • Catch more exploiters: most players struggle to get their recording software started up and start a recording. If they could just record in a keypress, they would catch the incident much quicker.
  • Make bug reporting easier: when we get a bug report in .wmv format, we would first have to convert it to mp4 to play, then try to dissect what’s going on between the pixels.
  • Show previews quicker: currently, I need to use third-party tools to have an acceptable recording. If I could just press F12 within Roblox Studio, I can share a problem/preview in mere seconds.
  • Be accessible & responsible: ideally, we shouldn’t have to direct people off-platform to download recording software. Especially younger players can end up downloading malware.

@therealmotorbikematt this enough to warrant an update? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

Also they should let us Record the whole studio tap too.

1 Like

I would say it is. Migrating from WMV to a universally recognized format such as MP4 would be a huge upgrade in and of itself.

4 Likes

It would be nice if we could preview the video inside of the roblox player, using VideoFrames! We would be able to trim the video by setting the new start and end point, so that when it’s exported, it is clipped to the important part of our video. It would also be ideal if we could crop the video too, but now I might be asking for too much!

3 Likes

The point of the feature request is to request an update to Roblox’s recorder so that it’s on par with other recording software, not to idly complain that it’s currently worse.

2 Likes

Not sure if it needs to be upgraded urgently, but if you upgrade them, may you make recording on Studio allow to record PluginGui and Scripts? (same with screenshots). I’m not sure if it’s already implemented or not, but CoreGuis should also be recorded.

There’s a chance that Roblox is simply going to phase out the legacy screenshot and recording tools for their new Captures API.

1 Like

Yeah, but that’s not a keybind.