The Vaporwave Lighting

Hello there guys! Once again, it’s your pal HolidayPwner here to show you another cool lighting you can make in ROBLOX Studio. Does anyone know what vaporwave is? If you didn’t know already, vaporwave is “a musical genre and art that emerged in the early 2010s from indie dance genres such as seapunk, bounce house, witch house, or chillwave” (Source: Wikia.) Sometimes, the song(s) come with a weird looking background, which I’m going to show you how to do today! Here’s an example of what I’m talking about:

Now here’s my attempt of a vaporwave background:

However, since there are so many examples of vaporwave backgrounds, I’m going to be showing you the steps of a vaporwave background I made. If you get lost on any step of the way, feel free to comment down below where you got stuck.

Step 1: Background
In my example, I used the mountains from this night skybox and cropped them out, using them as decals.

Afterward, I used the same spherical skybox method, like I mentioned in my previous lighting post; “use the mesh ID: rbxassetid://10061232 to form a sphere, then enlarge it to a scale to about [-2000,-2000,-2000.] You do not need to give this mesh a decal, since its color will be based upon the part you placed this mesh inside.” (Source:
HolidayPwner's "Special" Lighting Recipe)

Step 2: Building
I would recommend building something very neon/plastic if you are attempting to build a vaporwave background. If you have no idea on what to build for this theme, you can always Google some ideas. :slight_smile:

Step 3: Lighting
Unlike my other lighting, this one involves fog. These are the lighting properties I used for my vaporwave background attempt:

Cool Fact: Changing the FogColor will change the color of the atmosphere. Try it for yourself!

After that, you can add anymore detail you want to use for your vaporwave background, and you’re done. Thank you for spending your time reading this post!

13 Likes

I initially thought that first picture was on Roblox and I freaked out. Cool tutorial anyways.

4 Likes

I didn’t spend a lot of time on my attempt, since I just wanted to test out the lighting to see how well it did. Later on, I will probably modify it and make a much better attempt at a really good background. Maybe it might turn out to look like that in the future. :wink:

Aw man, i was really hoping for that first image to be roblox :c

Harrison - Comforst Cruise is a great vaporwave song.

Also this lighting looks really awesome, thanks Holiday!

1 Like

Macintosh 420… Good song, I prefer synthwave more then retro, however this is a cool tutorial… Makes me wonder what roblox needs to be added in order to allow us to create better environments.

420 has turned into a meme.

Although this isn’t reallyvaporwave, it’s low-fi hip hop, it’s still pretty good.

I’m sorry but since the thread “what are you working on currently” was made “cool creations” was tacitly deprecated

But that looks hella tight tho

Well its not just cool creation its a tutorial as well. If this was posted in “what are you working on currently” it would have been lost within a few days. At least here it has its own post.

1 Like