The Volumetric Sounds Beta is Here

Another great feature to audio on Roblox! Can’t wait to use this in my projects!

1 Like

FINALLY, I have wanted something like this for so long! Thank you many times over Roblox.

This sounds absolutely beautiful, thank you for this. :slightly_smiling_face:

is this a studio-only beta at the moment or will this be live in experience? super cool!

1 Like

Yes; attachments are treated as a single-point, so they should sound the same as before

6 Likes

This is amazing! for sure helps create a more realistic environment, though i feel like using a part seems a bit extreme (considering all the extra useless properties such as Color,Transparency,Reflectance etc, which aren’t super useful for sound zones), do you guys ever plan on adding an instance type for “sound zones”? so we don’t have to use a part for it?

Edit:
Not saying that volumetric sounds shouldn’t work on parts, rather that there could be another instance to better organize sounds within an experience.

9 Likes

(I’m out of office so I can’t check for myself in studio)

How does this affect verticality? My main use case is in games that have multiple floors, where it makes no sense for adjacent floors to hear the sounds emanating from eachother.

I’d really love to see this ability added.

2 Likes

I’m going to assume with attachments it will stay the same for now

Woah! I love this. But for older games that intentionally wanted the old behavior, would it be possible for them to keep it or no?

2 Likes

This is awesome!!! There are many things that can be done with this addition. Very much needed! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Finally!, I always hated how the audio played, thank you Roblox developer team

This is a little vague, are these sounds based on the camera’s location or the character’s?

1 Like

This is based on the listener, which can be changed via SoundService:SetListener

8 Likes

Thats amazing, When will we be able to use this in game, look forward to it

Update seems good!

Will there ever be an option to emit sound at a position without having to create a part, just to destroy it thereafter to create a positional sound?

1 Like

This is cool, I have been making 2 or 3 attachments spaced out around my waterfall and separate sound objects to make this myself. It’ll be interesting to see how the new beta sound compares to that method.

Attachments will continue to be treated as single-point emitters, and small parts will still be highly directional. So to achieve the classic behavior, attachments are a good option; volumetric behavior will be most noticeable when sound is emitted from large/wide parts

5 Likes

The point was to get the volumetric sound though, not to have something play everywhere. This method wouldn’t have directional audio which would defeat the purpose.

2 Likes

Nice. I think this will be a really useful update.

To expand on what is quoted here, to recreate the old behavior, you’d add an attachment to the part in question(placed at the center of the part) then put the sound object in that. (I think) But like he said, for small-ish average sized parts, you may not tell the difference.

The way I would use the new beta feature is to make a huge no-collide invisible part around my waterfall to create the volumetric sound.