There's a way to combine MeshParts and it's simpler than we thought

We’ve always been asking for a way to union not only BaseParts, but MeshParts too. But did you know it’s always been possible? Today, I’m going to show you a way to turn multiple meshes into one, that not a lot of people know of.

Firstly, let’s say you have a bunch of MeshParts that you want to combine into one for whatever reason:

All you need to do is to right click them in the explorer and export them. Then save it to anywhere in your computer.

Now import the mesh via the Asset Manager with the configurations as seen below and click Appy All:

Insert the mesh back into the game and align it with the previous MeshParts.

That’s it! You can delete the old parts now. If you already knew this, well I’m sorry, but I believe there’s a lot of people which will find this helpful.

22 Likes

The title is a bit misleading. This doesn’t show you how to use the union operation on meshes, it shows you how to combine them.

4 Likes

That is true, fixed it. Thanks for letting me know!

3 Likes

Exactly what I was looking for! Amazing Tutorial.

3 Likes

I am really nooby in meshes but wouldn’t that break texture quality? Wouldn’t it break textures aswell?

2 Likes

Yeah I’m pretty sure you’re right. I only use this for textureless meshes, so I didn’t think about that sooner.

But I think if you import the mesh into blender then you could just join (CTRL + J) them and/or somehow fix the texture before importing it back to Roblox. (?)

1 Like

Exporting can cause issues with broken meshes, etc. Plus there is little benefit to actually combining meshes since the same amount of triangles exist either way. I wouldn’t recommend doing this unless you are seriously desperate for the extra frame of performance for a ton of extra work.

1 Like

There’s no point my in my opinion. It doesn’t add any extra benefit by doing this, as you can achieve the same thing by just grouping the meshes together.

2 Likes

I agree. The triangles can be decimated in blender but I don’t think it’d look that way. The reason I posted this is, or at least I think it works that way, when you have a lot of parts, it impacts performance, not in the rendering way, but memory. And it also looks good while editing the game haha.

1 Like

Well, the same can be said for normal parts, but Unioning them is usually better. It doesn’t change the Tri count unless there’s too much triangles.

Also,

The reason I posted this is, or at least I think it works that way, when you have a lot of parts, it impacts performance, not in the rendering way, but memory. And it also looks good while editing the game haha.

One problem I see with this is it interferes with the engine’s instancing behavior. Having many meshes can add to the memory footprint, even if they share geometry

1 Like

Having lots of parts doesn’t necessarily affect memory if they share the and meshid, like I said in my post above, the engine will instance the mesh and each part will only have their own cosmetic property footprint(size, color, etc) the vertex data, which takes the lion’s share of the memory footprint, will only be stored in memory once. So unless you can reduce the non visible triangle count of an assembly by a large magnitude it probably isn’t worth it performance wise

You can learn more about instancing specific to roblox in this post: Part Instancing - pre-release announcement

2 Likes

I’m having a problem with the texture that isn’t getting imported, (I had a texture for each meshpart)