Thin walls have shadows piercing through them

I need some tricks, or tips, or even an explanation of why is this happening?

https://gyazo.com/888cb84b6e2b0b2c24c0e3e0a8930c25.png

This also happens with thicker walls:

https://gyazo.com/89e31254ae4a71a95b5a0f63548f644d.png

It’s fully night-time, shadow-map is enabled, and global shadows as well.

I hope you can see my issue, with the shading passing through thin objects, please tell me about any tricks or strategies to solve this.

5 Likes

its the brick ontop
Shadow map is in beta
Union the brick ontop aswell as the ones on the side

1 Like

You can also make the top brick taller and larger in the sides.

1 Like

I might be totally wrong, but Lightning.GlobalShadows = false is a some sort of way to stop having trouble with shadows, it will mess up the lightning a bit, but with more tweeking and editing you can make it normal without having any shadows.

2 Likes

Or just add lights to it to remove the shadows entirely.

3 Likes

As you have said already i have shadow map enabled, and global shadows enable but this could be done. If you select all your parts in workspace! and then turn off the (CastShadow) property, then the parts should be perfect on the way you want them to look. As you can see below!

Castshadow on:
Image1(3)
Image2

Example: Castshadow off

Image%2C%20(2)

And there you, go this is how you remove the shadows of the walls. Also if i did something wrong please correct me.

4 Likes

You see, ceilings can give off shadows too. Shadow’s aren’t piercing through them.

Tips:

• Use lights.

• Turn of global shadows for the ceiling.

• Shadowmap is still on beta, so expect some bugs. If you want, you could change your lighting to Voxel or Compatibility.

Yeah totally a good example that’s what everyone goes for

1 Like

Are you trying to make a map without any ambient light (no sunlight or moonlight)?

If so, why not try disabling GlobalShadows and turning Brightness down to 0? That will stop any sunlight or moonlight from affecting your build. Good for maps where you want stuff to be pitch black unless lit up by a light source :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you all for the help, this was what I did already and it works! Yeah, I should’ve noted I wanted a pitch black map.