Third Party AI System

I was going to make complex swat AI in a game, but the Roblox AI/NPC system is very simple and could not do the complexity I am looking for.

Is there a way to take an AI system, for example, made with python and put it into Roblox? And do you guys know any AI modules that are good for npc making?

Also, how would I go about connecting Roblox to the third-party code

2 Likes

I don’t see what you mean. Roblox doesn’t have an AI system. I assume you’re talking about pathfinding. If you want more complex pathfinding, your best bet is to make your own, in roblox. You can’t, and there wouldn’t be much reason to run someone on roblox with python.

1 Like

The above is incorrect, you can use HttpService to communicate with 3rd-party APIs. For example, if you hosted some kind of Python webserver which runs the AI, etc… you could get it to work. However, the costs are high and realtime AI is nigh impossible via a webserver.

So… I am correct, it would be impossible via a web server.

1 Like

It’s easy to see why someone would be confused because what you are saying makes very little sense. That sounds like an absolutely painful way to attempt to make AI, rather than just… making it in roblox. Why would you attempt to stream AI from another source in the first place???

Your initial statement of

Roblox AI/NPC system is very simple and could not do the complexity I am looking for.

Is also basically just nonsensical. The Roblox AI/NPC system (Which doesn’t really exist.) couldn’t do the complexity you’re looking for? Excuse me?

The closest thing Roblox has to an “NPC” system are Humanoids (Not AI in itself) and Pathfinding systems. Which, I 100% promise you, is a advanced enough to do anything you’d need for a SWAT NPC.
With Roblox’s powerful Lua, you could if you wanted to, code a 100% custom solution outside of even using Humanoids or PathfindingService. What you’re saying is you don’t know how to make that complexity, not that it can’t be done.

It’s abundantly clear that you don’t know what you’re talking about, and short of pointing you in the general directions to some Scripting guides, I don’t think you’re going to find anyone in this forum that will be able to help you with the nonsensical task provided - No offense meant, genuinely.
But if you don’t know what you’re working with to begin with, trying to run AI via HttpService is not something feasible for you to begin with.

1 Like

Sorry if I didn’t go into detail but, I am trying to make a machine-learning SWAT AI. And I don’t know how to make one through Roblox (if its even possible) I know machine learning is not used for this type of task but I feel it would be the best way to make it realistic.

There are some libraries for this. One example I can think of is Kironte’s NN Library here.

That isn’t to say that it would be easy; ML is a challenging task for many.

This is by far not the best way to make it realistic IMO.

I would rewrite it. Do you know python? Also, I’ve seen some modules/APIs on devforum for neural networks and AI already.