Third/First Person Shooter System - Update 2

Good morrow, people of planet Earth! I’ve made further updates to a system I posted in Cool Creations about a week ago. However, for those who didn’t see it (which is likely most of you), I’ll give a full rundown of the system again. Very excited for this stuff!

Ahem

Let’s go over what I consider to be the core systems. Ya know, camera manipulation, character movement and basic/common modern game mechanics.

When in third person, your character points towards the mouse on both the X and Y axis. The drag is very smooth, and reacts to violent mouse movement.

However, for those who wish to view an outfit they are wearing, or collect an understanding of their surroundings without moving the character, there is also a free camera mode.

Sprinting and crouching animations are a must for a shooting system, especially if it were to be implemented into an open world game. However, no system like this is complete without…

DIVE ROLLING! Yes, good ol’ fasioned dive rolling. Whether it’s to spam your way out of a sticky situation, or grasp your true Dark Souls spirit, a quick tap of the Shift key (all keybinds are changeable) will send you hauling head over heels.

Careful, up there! A fall from too high could have potential health risks. It’ll also immobilize you for a second, making you VULNERABLE TO BALLISTICS!

Shh, no peaking, now. Occluding your camera through a wall may result in blindness, as wall peaking can be problematic, and I’m too lazy to make this too custom. The third person relies heavily on a non-scriptable camera and MouseLock.

Anyway, prancing about my lightly developed baseplate isn’t fun to watch. You want action, I can see it in your eyes through your webca - COUGH COUGH AHEM Aaaanyway, here’s a some gunplay!

I did mention this system was first and third person, right? No? Well, it is, and switching between it with a gun out is very fun.

PEW PEW PA PEW PEW PEW PEW PA PEW PA PEW PEW PEW
But in all honesty, the ballistics system is neat. It has live time bullets with pretty trails, and variable bullet speed. I could make it go as fast (to a point, if you make it too fast it breaks and lags) or as slow (yes, p a i n f u l l y slow) as I want. The crosshair lands directly in front of the gun and sways with your character, making for an interesting shooting mechanic. Everything is fully responsive with perspective changes and feels very nice to play with.

I’m reloading!

Some first person target practice, showing off hitmakers as well as bullet travel time by sniping the far away one. I’m using a gun model from a game of mine with a Holographic Scope, and we’re using glass in the sight, so you can’t see any GuiObjects through it such as trails, beams, or particles. ROBLOX does plan on changing this at some point to my knowledge, so it shall remain!

Bullet holes and impact particles dependent on material! It also has different impact sounds that you can’t hear. :sad:

Ah, the hilt of a gun. Nothing tells a player who killed your buddy and looted all his stuff that he messed with the wrong muchacho like some blunt force trauma.

There’s a lot I grazed over and didn’t address in this post because the system is very in depth. However, I feel that what I posted here covers the main points of the system as well as gives a good perspective on what game-play looks like. I want you, the protagonist of this story, to give me feedback and suggestions! I’d love to hear what you’ve got! Thanks for reading this goliath post!

29 Likes

Why not just push the camera closer to the player when they’re occluded? It’s much nicer (and in my opinion, less confusing) than just blacking out the screen.

7 Likes

It has to do with the CameraSubject being the character’s head. I might change it soon, but it’s a good placeholder and interesting theory for now.

1 Like

Got it! Was actually really easy.

3 Likes

I’ve been working on some guns for a new game and this is neat. Most gun-based games don’t use R15. How are you handling the animations? I am not an animator so I just used IK to have the arms go where they’re supposed to on each gun.

2 Likes

The animations are made entirely using the default animator plugin, and everything as far as character leaning and what not is handled mathematically. Positioning the arms is just a matter of animating for the specific gun, or building all classes of guns to work with specific “animation packs”. I’m going to be posting an update of the best and final version of this system soon, chocked full of bullet drop, beam types, and parkour, so keep your eyes peeled!

1 Like

How are you making the gun follow the camera?

This is something I haven’t been able to do yet.

3 Likes

Looking good lentzified

2 Likes

It’s just some basic trigonometry. Arc tangents and rotational equations and such. Basically use the position of the mouse and the position of the HumanoidRootPart, and derive your equations from there.

1 Like

Thanks, jandel my buddy guy!

1 Like

Very interesting, just keep polishing. Seems very experimental. Also it looks like you’re on the threshold of creating something very awesome.

Is this open sourced?
30 chars

1 Like

The system is really complex, and well made!