This mouse is no longer active

• Describe the bug. Describe what is happening when the bug occurs. Describe what you would normally expect to occur.

We so far have only seen this once, but we have a script that accesses mouse.p from a mouse that was returned by the Equipped event of a tool, and when the property was accessed the error “This Mouse is No Longer Active” popped up.

I see that the same problem has been reported here - [RESOLVED] Mouse not active - but I would argue that it is not resolved if the “fix” is to put an exception handler around the line that throws an error. If being not active, whatever that means, is a thing, we should at least be able to query that without using an exception handler IMO.
Or some documentation on how to not be in the situation where we have an inactive mouse in the first place.

Apparently this problem has been bugging Robloxians who aren’t on the devforum for some time - here’s the latest post I found about the issue:
https://forum.roblox.com/Forum/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=214096401
but there have been many more.
It looks like there are some scripts in there that can repro the problem consistently, so that’s where I’d look first if it were my job to investigate.

• How often does the bug happen (Everytime/sometimes/rarely)? What are the steps that reproduce the bug? Please list them in very high detail. Provide simple example places that exhibit the bug and provide description of what you believe should be the behavior.

Just saw it once.

• Where does the bug happen (www, gametest, etc) Is it level-specific? Is it game specific? Please post a link to the place that exhibits the issue.

• Would a screenshot or video help describe it to someone? If so, post one.

• For graphics bugs, it is sometimes helpful to know your system specs, especially graphics card.

• When did the bug start happening? If we can tie it to a specific release that helps us figure out what we broke.

From looking at the forums it seems like it’s been happening since 2012, maybe longer.

• Anything else that you would want to know about the bug if it were your job to find and fix it.

That’s all I can think of! Cheers!

6 Likes

Thanks for the report!

Mouse is considered a legacy API and I’d strongly recommend against using it for new work. It’ll probably be deprecated soon.

Input should usually be handled by a combination of ContextActionService, UserInputService, and GuiService. These newer APIs offer way more flexibility and control over the input pipeline.

3 Likes

Cool. Is there some clear documentation of those services yet? I can’t seem to find much.
In particular I don’t see how to set the mouse icon.

Currently, the Mouse object is how to set the icon. If/when we deprecate this object, we will be sure to 1) communicate this to all developers and 2) Make sure all existing functionality is available via other APIs

3 Likes