Thoughts on 2-Step Verification?

This is blasphemy, no one has ever retracted an exclamation of “soon™” before this day

Justify yourself!

She took away the ReeseMcBlox meaning of “soon™” and made it the Sorcus meaning of “soon™”.

Late reply, but yes, I would use this because anything to protect my account is always an improvement, especially when people often have their accounts stolen.

Who do I gotta pay to get 2 step right now?

What happened now?

I don’t think they can speed this up that way. :stuck_out_tongue: The limiting factor is the amount of development time available

Some private info leaked. cx

This is already used by staff so it’s technically ‘early beta’ I guess.

Well that has existed for years and it probably isn’t built for high volumes of users. I wouldn’t compare it to a site-wide 2-step verification feature.

1 Like

inb4 this is the current state that’s being used by staff

1 Like

Hey my desk setup is pretty nice

3 Likes

I would use it, this is a big issue as many people seem to get hacked.

Also, we should look at 2FA with app as an option. You can actually redirect people’s SMS if you can trick support staff at the cell-phone carrier. This makes 2FA using SMS+password less secure than app+password.

3 Likes

Will roblox have support for google authenticator 2FA? or use the roblox app for this?

3 Likes

I would trust the Google Auth app over the Roblox app for 2FA… I use 2FA on EVERYTHING, Roblox needs to get this out the door soon before more devs get their accounts compromised…

5 Likes

Would be cool if it was built into the ROBLOX app, maybe at the start screen a big o’l button ‘2 Step Login’ or something

Our first 2FA offering will be by email. It’s the foundation as it covers the most users. Then we’ll offer SMS soon after, which is more secure than email but covers fewer users. We do want to offer 2FA via an app, as it’s the most secure. App 2fa is not on the roadmap right now though.

Something to ponder…
The premise of 2FA is that using a combination of something the user physically carries, plus something the user knows, will create better security. The two factors are generally kept separate. A lot of ROBLOX players are only playing on their mobile devices. If we make the ROBLOX app itself the delivery method of the 2nd factor, and the user is also logging in on that app, is it still 2FA at that point? Or is it something else?

4 Likes

Certainly more tricky. If the user is logging into his ROBLOX app on his phone and has to use the app as 2nd factor of auth, then he can never log in (since presumably you have to be logged in to get the OTP or whatever code). And so I guess I would argue that you would have to delegate the 2nd factor to one of the other two methods–email or SMS–when the user logs into a new mobile device.

I’d much prefer 2FA via Google Authenticator or something similar than email/SMS - but I’ll gladly use whatever we can get :slight_smile: I have 2FA on my email anyway

8 Likes

I’ll reiterate super hard:
Please don’t restrict app-based 2FA to the ROBLOX app.
Please use a normal sensible open standard (TOTP) and please just let us use the authentication apps we have already installed on our phones (google authenticator, authy).
No one should have to download the 90MB+ roblox app for app-based 2FA when google authenticator can do the same thing for only 8MB and also be their one app for all their 2FA business (google, discord, etc.)~

2 Likes

I think she implied they won’t be using the roblox app.