Thoughts on a redraw of my old character

I recently redrew a drawing of a character I made a few years ago :relaxed: If you have seen my art before you’ll know this art style is completely different from what I usually do. Please let me know what you think in the comments!

(I’m not gonna post my original drawing of the character since I’m a bit embarrassed by it :doh:)

oc drawing

22 Likes

honestly, i’d probably pay you for a commission of MY updated avatar. It. Looks.

STELLAR.

great work. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

and as far as your original drawing goes, it’s okay to be embarrassed, but i wont judge you for it, and neither should anyone else, because everyone starts somewhere.

4 Likes

Awh thank you! I love hearing that. Feel free to view my portfolio if you are interested :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Appreciate your kind words and I totally agree! :]

3 Likes

Dam such great work keep up with what you are doing. And improve on ur own pace you dont need to be pressured

And have a nice day / night i guess idk timezones are weird

1 Like

Haha thank you. Posting on here is actually less stressful than on other social platforms. You have a nice day/night as well!

1. The right horn doesn’t look like it’s going into the skin.

2. The ear doesn’t look very realistic. It just looks like a circle.

3 Likes

I have to say this work looks fantastic.

Me too, if I could afford it lol

1 Like

the right horn looks edited on and so does the left one. other than that idk except for some weird outline partsScreen Shot 2021-10-02 at 9.08.56 AM

3 Likes

Thank you I actually drew both horns on they were part of the sketch. As for the outline I used a textured brush.

1 Like

Thank you and I agree with you about the horn, I probably should have added more detail to the hair and make it blend into the skin more. As for the ear, I don’t really know what to say I just tried to draw an ear but I have been studying the anatomy of ears and will improve on this.

1 Like

Haha, thank you so much. I appreciate that! :doh:

1 Like

After searching through the devforum for a while I found something nice, well done

your painting skills are really nice + the fingers are drawn well but
the right arm kind of looks off, the head might be too big and the eyes seem to be going inside the skin like their tilted a bit too much (it shows a lot on the left eye) (ignore if its a style preference)
the hair should give a dark shadow off to the character/clothes
if you just perfect your anatomy studies etc (skull, bones and everything else) youll become really good.

2 Likes

You were able to capture the overall anatomy really well.

However, there are still gaps in your fundamentals, which you seem to try to cover up with the use of effects.

These are as following:

1. Understanding of 3D space.
  • As someone pointed out, the eyes look like they sink into the face. This is because as an artist, you have yet to understand where objects wrap around its physical body. A skull is not flat. It takes up physical space. A lack of understanding of this concept results in flat looking drawings.

Learning the shape, and how the shades around them change in relation, contribute greatly to how much your drawing “pops”. A good website to learn fundamentals is “drawabox”, which is completely free, and has a great community.

1. Highlights & effects
  • Effects seem to be slapped on top of your final layer, and does not blend into the drawing. This can be seen from the highlights in the hair, horns, and clothing. As a result, shadows are cast wrongly, resulting in too much contrast between dark and light. This creates visual noise - the eyes of the viewer don’t know where to settle.

Don’t try to hide how your drawing doesn’t “pop” with highlights or effects. A good drawing will pop without it. A way to improve on this is to remove your linework, and see if the drawing is still there. If it’s not, it means you need more shading. Make your darks darker, and contrast it with light colours.

Don’t get me wrong, this is an amazing piece of artwork. I can tell that you have spent hours researching on how to draw various parts, such as hands, eyes, and hair, which are all really difficult concepts to master.

It is exactly because of this dedication that I urge you to master the fundamentals first. With the same amount of effort that you have already put in, to push on the fundamentals, with project you multifold towards becoming an excellent artist.

Keep up the good work! Can’t wait to see your future drawings.

3 Likes

wrong website to be posting this on, e62…

1 Like

I would literally pay you to just draw me and my friend, your art is so good.

1 Like

pretty amazing artwork, everyone starts somewhere but ur anatomy and face design is so amazing that i cant imagine making it as good as urs.

1 Like

amazing!! would definitely buy from you!

1 Like

Thank you so much for the feedback, I really agree on what you have said here. I will admit I have never really tried to learn any fundamentals and really just draw based on what I’ve seen on the internet. I think I’ve gone too long without learning any actual fundamentals haha :sweat_smile: It’s something I plan to start focusing on though since I have a lot of free time right now.