Thoughts on art?

Little fan art I made for generic roleplay gaem. Decided to post it here. It is a bit rushed since I was tired lol. Background could use some more refinement as well as shading.

(I prefer critic from people who have experience with 2D drawing/digital drawing as they are more likely to be able to give helpful critique).

9 Likes

I would use a stroke on everything or nothing. anything in between just doesnt feel right

1 Like

The art looks great! But I feel like the character with lineart + the backgrounds without lineart doesnt fit much. It feels like something that would happen in cartoons where non lineart objects are not interacted with. But it’s just my opinion lol, your art is still very good.

1 Like

The art looks good! Personally, I feel like some of the lines are a little off such as the broom and the arch. You could try experimenting line-less art for both the background and characters. It can totally work with your style. I agree about the background needing more detail and refinement, it kinda looks rushed. Lastly, maybe don’t put a lot of shading and blend it a bit (the characters not the background). Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It looks pretty good for the art style, I’m just not a big fan of the art style.
You can definitely draw better than me though

1 Like

Hey Pineapple!

I love seeing new artist’s arts because they’re always so from the heart.

Definitely, I think you lack a lot of fundamentals & foundation. But that’s not a bad thing. You can always pick up technical skills.

As usual, I suggest “DrawABox” for beginners, really informative, instructive course. Free too. It touches on all the foundations you need. It does require quite a bit of willpower to get through. I’m currently on Lesson 3, plants, and it took me over 4 months. :slight_smile:

If you’re too lazy to give it a try, I’ll share some of the more important core concepts for you to look up:

1. Form AND shape.
  2. Perspective
  3. Value

I recommend these channels for you too :slight_smile:

(However, I wouldn’t get into them until you actually know a teeeeny bit on fundamentals.)

• Sycra
  • Proko
  • Sinix
  • Marco Bucci

All the best! Keep drawing, and enjoy the craft. :+1:

I actually find this pretty funny since I’m not a beginner lol. (Actually in college for art as well). I do find it nice that you posted some tips, although I recommend before you assume someone is a beginner, maybe ask or check their profile (as my bio states I have been drawing for a good 6+ years). [Not mad or anything, just find it kind of funny since I know this piece is definitely lacking so its very understandable]

Although I understand as this piece was rushed and done when I had a headache. If you have any recommendations for more intermediate digital-art focused classes I’ll definitely check out those since I am trying to better match my traditional work to my digital work.

This is one of my better digital pieces:

And just an example of a still life I did:

Again, I appreciate the thoughtful advice, I just recommend double checking before assuming someone’s a beginner. I tend to just choose to not really focus on the rules since a lot of these fan-art drawings are mainly for fun.

The term “beginner” is not meant to be offensive. Sorry to have offended you.

I like your still life drawings. Maybe I just don’t understand your style when it comes to digital art.

Oh you didn’t! Its just that beginner advice is not that helpful towards me, which is why I recommend double checking as I don’t want you to end up wasting time giving advice if someone is already past that point.

(There’s no hard feelings!)