Thoughts on CAD UI?

Hi, I recently made a CAD System for a group, and I want some thoughts on the design. To me, I think it could be better. If I were to sell it ( hypothetically… ) , what price would you buy it for?

3 Likes

I wouldn’t buy this at all. Here are the problems that I have with it.

• The styling is inconsistent. The buttons are round, whereas the outlines of textboxes and elements are sharp. Try using a specific styling that you’re accustomed to. Check below for my version of a CAD / MDT system.

• Text size & font usage is also inconsistent. You should set it to a universal font size and styling, in order to make it easier to comprehend and use.

• There’s a lot of empty space that you could fill it with other elements. You could resize current elements and more.

• Use padding! Text within those boxes are also pretty close to the borders, which makes it an uncomfortable UI styling.

• The title of the CAD is on the top left, which makes it limited. It should be a bit more expanded.

One of my early commissioned UI designs had a consistent styling & sizing throughout the entire UI. It filled up empty space, and it has a decent look to it.

One of the very difficult parts of being a UI designer is to find a good style. When I started out with UI, I preferred boxy-styles like above. However, as I move forwards with my UI, I’m moving towards a more sophisticated but sleek & modern round UI styling, as shown below. (Radio UI)

I’d suggest looking towards Behance for more UI styling ideas, along with checking out material.io .

13 Likes

Another thought-

try not to cover the entire screen with the CAD. Officers will definitely get shot due to them not being able to see their surroundings while they’re inside the cad.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t buy the system, as @VincentJSyndicate said, the CAD UI covered the whole screen, you won’t be able to see everything apart from the UIs.

Maybe it’s my opinion but I don’t like borders a lot. I prefer avoiding it and then make it elevated by either changing the backgroundcolor3 lighter than the background of the UI or add shadow.

Also, the separator frame is too thick (look at the picture) image
I recommend you set the thickness to 0.5-1.

Anyway, the UI is quite plain and empty. For me, I would scale the UI down. I’ve made a draft for you. Look at the picture below.

1 Like