Thoughts on cave design?

Hello! I am currently making a classic ROBLOX style game and need some feedback on this tiny cave I made and need some feedback.
Before:

I have not detailed the entire map yet, so that is why the grass is bare.

After:

Still havent added any detail to the outside grass :frowning:

Planning on adding more detail.

Now looks a lot more rough and sharp! That character is going to be an animated npc.

Does anything look odd?
What are some things I could add inside of the cave?
Anything you like about it?

If you reply to this post with constructive criticism and feedback I seriously appreciate it!

-Psyfor

8 Likes

It looks nice, however I would change the following:

• Remove this gap in the ground:
  • I would also detail the exterior more. Right now it’s completely flat.

Other than those two points it looks pretty nice.

1 Like

Although that looks like a gap, it is the blue highlight of my cursor hovering over the cave floor. I will note that the exterior looks bare. Thank you!

3 Likes

It’s very smooth - the ground inside is quite flat (other than the rocks inside) and the walls, while uneven in one direction, are flat all the way through. Varying this will make it look quite nice. I also noticed that the top opening also looked quite square.

Images

I really like this art style though, it reminds me of many old Roblox games which I loved. I’d like to see future progress on this map.

5 Likes

Thank for the recommendation, and know that you mention it the build is quite flat. I will be sure to fix that!

It’s way too smooth. A cave is bumpy with lots of detail like more rocks. The area just feels flat. Otherwise, it’s great 7/10.

1 Like

Not the most extraordinary one i’ve ever seen. But its one of the great. Nice job

1 Like

I like how you’re adding a classic ROBLOX style to this, it brings back a lot of memories.

The cave itself is pretty good, I like how you added small details in the cave itself, well done.

The grass doesn’t really fit well with the cave, and it’s floating off the ground, I would maybe want to put a cave rock underneath it, or get rid of the part there, just my suggestions really.

1 Like

I did fix that while I was improving the build. Thanks for noticing it though!

It looks good but for feedback:
It looks blocky like legos try to make it more real. On the outside you could add flowers or grass. You could also do some small rocks. You can put the small rocks inside and outside the cave. You can add some hills around it and make it look more natural when the cave goes up. Inside the cave you have to make it more real and you could add some crystal to fill up the empty space. It looks good and I’m not good at building this is personal opinion and what I have seen some great builders do.

This is meant to be blocky, as it is built in the classic ROBLOX style. I said before that I have not detailed the entire map, so the grass is bare. Thank you for the crystal suggestion though, it does seem like a nice touch.

For the style you are using, I think it looks absolutely great. However, I think removing the studs would make it looks cooler. Maybe, add some more foliage around the place, just things to fill up the surrounding area such as vines and flowers and ores and stuff.

Thank you, I am planning on adding more detail, but also being careful of part count. The studs are the main part of the build, as most builds in the older days of ROBLOX had them.

1 Like

Thank you all for the feedback! I feel like it has improved greatly, and I will continue to take suggestions. Special thanks to @Lightlimn, as his suggestions made the cave look a lot nicer.

1 Like

Yeah, you won’t need to worry about part count. It takes a lot of parts to lag a game, and in most cases it’s code that ends up lagging the game, but a lot of the time it’s builds as well.

1 Like

Nice build that your going for a classic style consider throwing a few crystals coming out of the walls something to make it even better.

I think the cave could use a few more objects such as vegetation on the rocks or grass growing on the ground to have a better design even in a classic style, but still maintain a decent design you seem to be going for. I can see some amazing improvements, however, I feel like the top area could feature stalagmites, I see you added some, but placing some coming out the sides could add a nice touch. The cave looks well put together.

Anyways, it’s an amazing build may be some substance such as little pebbles or rocks all over the ground floor, particles floating around ect. At the start I definitely like the simplicity, I’m pretty sure the suggestions I listed might already be planned.

1 Like

As I said before, I do plan to add a large amount of detail. Thank you for the compliments though, it means a lot as I am not much of a builder. The grass suggestion seems like a must-have now!

I like the classic roblox style you’re doing. Although I suggest to add more terrain and uneven-ness to the cave because it does look a little flat. Otherwise, great job!

1 Like

I like the style you are going for. You gave me a classic Roblox vibes. Maybe add some minor details for this.

Overall, it was great.

1 Like