Thoughts On Donut Shop?

This is my Donut Shop i have had for a while. That i have recently revamped.

But this time i want the developer community to give me some constructive criticism on my Donut Shop.

Here are the screenshots from the inside.

Front Entrance

Inside Entrance

Main View

Top Down View Of Some Seats And A Table

Donut Shelf And Coffee View

More Tables and Chairs

-Meeskop

2 Likes

I like the overall concept however I think itā€™s lacking realism and texture, the windows could be in frames and split up into panels, the doors could have handles. The indoor walls could be extensively remade however Iā€™m not completely sure how. Good first attempt!

4 Likes

Letā€™s start with a list of problems. (and solutions!)

• The background (towers and stuff) looks better than the actual shop
  • Itā€™s unrealistic (very, VERY unrealistic)
  • It lacks detail, and cool looking shapes.
  • Free models?
  • The roads are inconsistent (Left one has markings, right one doesnt)
  • The images are just painted on the walls, which would be fine if they didnā€™t go straight up to the ceiling, but they donā€™t so they just look out of place and it doesnā€™t feel like they fit in.
  • Ceiling lights are disproportionately placed.
  • Tables/chairs are too far apart, and donā€™t fit the look of the restaurant.
  • Lastly, there seems to be a giant person plopped on top of your shop. (it doesnā€™t look that good)

Now for the solutions, in the same order as I put the problems.

• (This solution is for problems 1-3) To start, add windows, and make sure the shop isnā€™t just a square like it is now. Also make sure to add different materials. The roof could also use some touching up, with patterns, slopes, and other neat things like that. The second part of this solution is focussed on realism. Usually realism isnā€™t an issue in Roblox, but you put realistic trees in what is something that belongs more in a fantasy land, and it is VERY off putting. For one, thereā€™s no difference in heights in terrain, or even material. Two, thereā€™s donuts on the roof propped up byā€¦ air? Also, the flag is just a thin rectangle. Finally, thereā€™s almost no real detail, as the most detail comes from the trees and we already discussed why those donā€™t look so good. Adding lines in the pavement, patterns in floors/walls, and other similar things will really improve the look of your build.
  • I think I see a good bit of free models there, this issue is fixed simply by deleting them though.
  • Put the lines on the left road over on the right one as well.
  • Add frames to the images, as well as make sure they donā€™t go from floor to ceiling.
  • Use a 5-10 stud increment when placing lights.
  • Remake the chair/table models to look better in your shop, maybe with darker woods, metals, and other things that look nice together, also make sure they are placed mostly evenly around with space for walking & what not. You could also add booths, and a bar. (non-alcoholic drinks only)
  • You might as well remove the avatar on top of the roof, I donā€™t know why itā€™s there in the first place.

To end on a positive note, it looks way better than what I could do when I was just starting to build, and I can see some untapped creativity. Good luck on improving this place as good as you can. Obviously I couldnā€™t nitpick every single issue and give the best solutions, but try out these ways to improve your build, also try looking up some tutorials, they could really help you!

13 Likes

hey thanks for your feedback on the Donut Shop.

As for those roads i was working on them with the markings when i took those photos as i am in the process of remodeling alot of things so the road was not done yet.

I think your Doughnut Shop is good start :slight_smile: and if it makes you feel any better, I used to create buildings just like that years ago. I have to agree with what @ComplexStud and @TheodoreBalfour have said because itā€™s the reality and wholeness of the build and design. If you want to get better and have a concrete idea on what you want to build, you need Inspiration, this is something some people may find hard to find and some people are gifted with a third eye (everything is a source of inspiration).

Sources of inspiration can be but not limited to the following:

1. Reference Photos
  2. Other Games
  3. Dreams
  4. Movies
  5. A walk in the park
  6. Meditation
    So on and so forthā€¦

Personally, I donā€™t believe in unplanned stuff turning into great things, no. Practice, planning and patience will get you where you want to go.

Additional Information:

These things may have been covered by @ComplexStud, Iā€™m currently in a rush, so I apologise in advance.

• The ceiling is too high, use NPCs to scale properly
  • The building is too rectangular, try something modern with wide and tall windows.
  • The huge NPC on top of the shop is unnecessary.
  • The trees make the entrance too hard to see.
  • Thereā€™s too much dead space inside

Thatā€™s all I have noticed after quickly looking through the photos and posts. I might edit my post to improve it further, but donā€™t take my word for it :stuck_out_tongue: I hope the things weā€™ve said will bring out the fullest potential in you. Good luck on your game!

6 Likes

Agreed, back when I started Iā€™d build on what I thought it looked like not what was realistic. Now for scale I use the ā€œRig Builderā€, I insert an R6 dummy and that works better than inserting a dummy off the workspace just for efficiency.

1 Like

my main concern in this one is decals, i think that you could definitely improve it by removing some decals/putting them in frames kinda like paintings. maybe also add some plants to lighten up the atmosphere!

2 Likes

The statue of you is to still, make it look more animated. Have the person maybe eating the donut.

Your doughnut shop looks decent however here are some suggestions:

• The building is too tall compared to the character.

• Maybe add some windows.

• This decal could have a border/rim around it so it looks more like a sign:
    30%20pm

• The doughnuts on top of the roof could have little stands holding them up.
    reference picture:
    16%20pm
    12%20pm

• The realistic look of this tree doesnā€™t match this tree or the bush.
    58%20pm
    03%20pm
    13%20pm

• The texture of this pathway doesnā€™t carry onto this one.
    26%20pm

• The roof lights arenā€™t evenly spaced out.
    47%20pm

• Maybe add more decoration or make the space smaller as it looks a bit too plain in some places.

• Maybe add a different texture/colour on the interior wall.

• Make the sides of this stand a bit thinner.
    22%20pm

• these two roads donā€™t seem to match:
    47%20pm
    51%20pm

• Add some more detail really, at the moment there are a lot of areas that look bland some things you could add: light switches, windows, other furniture like bins or bookshelves, couches, display shelves ectā€¦

These are just some suggestions that may or may not improve the build but I do hope they help. Anyways keep up the work and I think the doughnut shop will turn out pretty good.

2 Likes

I think you should lessen the use of decals on the walls, and add some interior designing. Like lamps, chandeliers. On the walls I would recommend to maybe put picture frames up there, propaganda to increase interest of customers to become employees. I would direct that to the design section though, if you do end up looking for a graphics designer to make pictures like those. Iā€™d add a second floor as well, the first floor is too plain. I donā€™t know if its just the size of the place but it just looks very plain. Iā€™d decrease the size and then make a second floor, adding an upstairs juice bar maybe. Iā€™m not a professional restaurant/donut shop builder but this is what I think would clean up the place, make it look a bit nicer. Good job so far though! :+1:

4 Likes

Itā€™s a nice idea, but it hasnā€™t got much shape. Itā€™s just a square. It if had areas ā€˜bittenā€™ out of it to give it a bit more of a unique shape it would look even better! Good work so far though!

2 Likes

Currently this build is pretty basic ā€” but it has much potential.

First, the building shape is simply a big block room w/ no windows, just simply a door opening with a couple decals thrown on the walls with what seems to be no thought along with no adornments/ moldings along the outside or inside walls, being simply bare.

The proportions are quite weird as well. The counter, for example, is dwarfed by the dimensions of the place.

Also, there is no style to the building.

The shape itself sticks out since how rudimentary it is and is worsened by the proportions and absence of style; Iā€™d probably have an NPC while building in studio to keep with scaling to the average avatar height for a start, as well as having a reference image for what type of style you want to achieve.

I had to dig in my old files for a cafe I made about 2 years ago when I first got into building on roblox studio. Itā€™s not perfect by any means, but I feel as if it could give some ideas on some concepts.

Exterior

Exterior:

The exterior structure has decor around the perimeter of the walls, attempting to have an interesting composition with a certain style. Some variety is an important factor as well. Also, some basic color theory can help make that certain pop and add some intricacy, but finding a good color scheme is something I have a pretty hard time with sometimes still.

The building itself I tried to have flow smoothly into the environment as well as have more of a shape to it, seeing the entrance. Windows also can help have a building flow more with its surrounds.

Interior

Interior:

The roof is a basic checked pattern with a decoration on each panel along with a molding around them, being a simple technique that can be easily copy pasted and take minutes, along with the decor panels on the top of the walls.(I used just free meshes on the marketplace for each of the shapes on them.)
The height of the roof is probably the max Iā€™d do for one closed floor, being 16 studs for this example.

The walls themselves really have nothing on them except the decor at the top of them to attempt and centralize on that feature, leading them to be rather austere. Most typical modern buildings follow this route, and, given the city like take as seen in the background, Iā€™d probably stick to that.

Also, notice how the counter does not seem completely dwarfed by proportions? Itā€™s pretty basic though, but it serves its functionality I assume. Your counter is completely empty at parts, so Iā€™d probably move the donut display to the counter.

Overall, I think the build lacks creativity and uniqueness from all the elements Iā€™ve mentioned, so Iā€™d for now on think more about what youā€™re building. Remind yourself of important components such as: proportion, purpose, functionality, style, and composition, etc. Iā€™d look up the elements of art, architecture, and design in general. Educating yourself on these things could possibly help you when building, improving your capabilities as a roblox builder; itā€™s the same as knowing components to game design for others. There truly and really is an art to building.

2 Likes

The overall design of the shop/building is creative and cool. However, It feels really empty and quite messy. If I were you I would work on making the outside more polished then work your way into the inside of the buildingā€¦

1 Like

Here is what you can change:

• The building doesnā€™t really have a good shape and design, go for a modern look instead!

• The big image on the wall on the outside is not a good idea, try to make a neon text above the door. Maybe even the image but in form of a commercial display?

• Donut shops are usually smaller. If you make it smaller, it will be easier for you to decorate and build the inside.

• The road that leads to the door should have the same size as the pavement.

• The trees are too close to each other and they make a really dark shadow, try to move the trees some studs away.

• I canā€™t see any windows on the outside, try to add in some. Perhabs with a view on some donuts?

• The lights inside are not symmetrically placed so try to place them correctly.

• The roof and the floor color doesnā€™t really fit in with the rest of the shop. Go for a brighter color.

• The inside looks so empty, try to add in more tables, carpets and decoration you prefer.

• Im almost sure that you used a free model coffee machine, if so try to make your very own coffee machine!

I hope you will find this helpful. Thats your place so you decide to change it or not! Happy developing!

1 Like

The Donut Shop you have made and presented here is a okay start. However, thereā€™s always room for improvement in every developerā€™s work.

• The first thing I noticed you had some sort of statue (or maybe itā€™s you in-game but you used admin to enlarge your entire character and youā€™re standing ontop of the building). There is a bit of confliction here with your statue in regard to the realistic aspect of it. Personally, I would suggest putting your statue somewhere by the front door of your donut shop, and make it a lot smaller. The idea is that you want to have one large symbol that represents the building, such as one of your donuts. For example, any fast food place has a large sign out in the front of it to show what the place is, and it just seems a little messy with what you are trying to do.

• A second thought is the overall architecture to your ā€œDonut Shop.ā€ Try looking up photos on google images and replicate what you see into your donut shop. Your current architecture for the donut shop is very dry and lacks a lot of detail. Another thought is the exterior architecture of your entire lot which includes the grass and trees, front walkway entrance, etc.

• A third thought that adds onto above is again the architecture for the interior of your donut shop. I highly suggest taking a look at google images and take a look at what Donut Shops normally look like on the inside.

When I started to build, I used to utilize Google Images, but what I think would be perfect for you is SketchUp. SketchUp is similar to ROBLOX Studio. Itā€™s a 3D Modeling Computer Program for drawing architecture and what-not. You can utilize SketchUp by finding things such as buildings, or in your case a Donut Shop, to learn how to build and structure the Donut Shop that you are making/made.

Here is a link to SketchUp: https://www.sketchup.com/
SketchUp has something called ā€œ3D Warehouse,ā€ where you can find hundreds of thousands of models and creations by people that you can base off your work and learn a lot of great architectural concepts: https://help.sketchup.com/en/3d-warehouse/getting-started-3d-warehouse

You can do anything you set your mind to.

And keep going man. The Journey may be long and hard, but you will learn a lot and might find joy out of it.

Best of Luck.

2 Likes