Thoughts on examples for graphic-design/trailer-creator portfolio?

Hey everyone,
I’m looking to build a portfolio as a trailer/short video creator who also offers group/game icons (small icons, not thumbnails) and I would like feedback on some of the examples of my work I plan to use on my portfolio. I want to learn what aspects of my work might be strong and what aspects might be weak (concept, execution, originality, etc.). Here are 4 icons which I estimate to have taken a collective 1-1.5 hours to complete, and 2 videos which took around a total of 4 days to make. I will also describe the outlines by which I made each example so I can get opinions on how well each example did what it was made to do

Icons

testlogo
No clear idea in mind, cartoonish style might suit group who creates fast-paced/minigame-focused games

portfoliologo
Early roblox inspired clothing group

portfoliologo2
Science-themed roleplay group, like Innovation Inc.

Group icon for clan centered around murder mystery styled games

Trailers

Fictional military roleplay group squad promo video
I was given freecam in order to make this, and it was made as a promotional video to get players to enlist into a squad in a fictional military roleplay group. Certain constraints made it difficult to capture the duties of the squad (as a promo video should intend to do) so I chose to focus less on that and more on simply making the video appealing and funny to attract new members

“Anime opening” for branch in fictional military roleplay group
In game footage is taken from the perspective of a normal player with no freecam or other special tools. Video designed to be a trailer/showcase for a branch in the military roleplay group I was a member of when I made it, from the viewpoint of a member of that branch. Despite some substance of the video being inside jokes, it mainly displays the areas in which my branch did most of our work, some of the people in the branch, and our skill in combat.

To reiterate, I would like feedback on how well I followed the outlines listed for each of my examples (as icons and trailers represent groups and games and I need to be good at following the outline of being informative above all else when designing them before I expect people to buy from me), as well as thoughts on the overall quality of the things I make.

Thanks for reading

They are not really good for display and showcasing. They are not appealing and overall are poor quality. Did you make the shirt yourself or is it from google? You need to practice more and learn the basics of graphic design. For the trailers they also are bland. A lot of people when hiring for a trailer would like a 3d rendered one and if not a highly edited trailer made from recordings. Try watching a bunch of game trailers and see what they have to add to yours.

1 Like

Thanks for the response, I don’t have the tools for 3d rendered graphics or trailers, so I was looking to have quality in the design of the examples and not the actual appearance (if that makes sense). Personally, I prefer more simple logos and trailers so that likely had an effect on what I included. I did watch a few Bloxy-nominated trailers before making my own but they are almost all 3d rendered and I’m not capable of doing that, so I tried to supplement normal footage with lots of effects. Do you have any tips on how I can improve my icons and videos without 3d rendering them?

For the icons in general, referring to vector icons you can use free software like gimp or paint . net to make them. Some paid software would be affinity designer which is one time payment. You won’t be making anything good for non rendered characters in icons unless you know how to draw. For the trailers you can try boosting your max fps with some obvious “methods”. Again these aren’t really appealing to others when hiring so you can’t expect much.

1 Like