Thoughts on fair use and legal concerns relating to experiences

When playing games on roblox it’s easy to come across a game based on an anime or other game. The question I have, is are these legal - if so did they require the original copyright holder’s permission, and if not what are the consequences or ways that legal issues could be avoided. Games such as yba and blox fruits base most of their gameplay and story around anime and profit off of them. If a small developer like me were to make a jojo or one piece game, would it face different conditions to the already popular ones? Would it be safe if I did not include gamepasses or ways to profit off of someone elses ideas.

Please let me know of your thoughts and/or experiences below, such as if content you have uploaded has been moderated due to copyright concerns. I’m still fairly new to the developer and scripting scene and I was thinking of making a jojo game so im just curious as to what the implications are. Of course correct me if I’m completely off track here.

Thanks in advance!

Hey, so making a game that’s a certain STYLE is not copyright…now all cartoonish games are not allowed?? Obviously not but, there has to be boundaries such as not following same storyline and names etc etc anime is a perfectly ok style to create games in. buy once you start referencing and using parties from other anime studios that’s where ur problem starts

1 Like

There have been remakes of games on roblox from other platforms, identical copies, for some.

Choo Choo Charles

whereas on Steam it costs £16.75

Here is a video (kreekcraft)
Here is another (kreekcraft) - on Choo-Choo Charles I believe

As to whether its legal, I don’t think Two Star Games, currently know.

Same with the other developers in Kreek’s videos.

:man_shrugging:

Roblox won’t do anything unless legally asked, i’m guessing.

1 Like

Pretty much this. I think.

Take for example Pokemon brick bronze. Nintendo noticed it picking up traction as well as it profiting from the Pokemon name (assets and image as well) and slapped it with a destructive content deleted.

If it gets noticed, it gets noted.

Using direct names/assets/images will probably get you into legal troubles, especially copyright, but actions seem to mostly occur when noticed. (Or if the bot automatically deletes it).

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.