Thoughts on horror game UI

I am working on a horror game, I cant tell you the name because some of you copy. But heres the UI.

RobloxScreenShot20230207_143946685

This is the menu. I’ll show you more when it comes out.

4 Likes

Also, it’d be cool if you guys could guess what the game will do

I don’t think there’s enough to warrant a menu. A settings/options menu, credits, and a ‘leave game’ button could be some additions. The settings could hold music volume controls, togglable ‘global shadows’, and really anything you feel could be held there.

As for credits, I’d say, this is for when you don’t make everything yourself. If you use music from someone/somewhere else, it would always be great to include that information for example.

For a ‘leave game’ button, you can only do that using the player:Kick("message here") command. It’s not great, but it does add to the ‘feel’ of the menu.

Additional buttons aside, the text placement feels weird to me and should be placed more to the left. The buttons also, well, don’t feel like buttons to me. Usually the slightly modern approach fits, but you might want to go a different style. Here’s an example approach:

• black background on the text label
  • semi-transparent background (usually 0.5 is good)
  • slight UI corner bevel (not too much, maybe 0.15)

Again, that’s just an approach and might not fit what you want to go for. Speaking of which, you could go for that ‘creeper’ text font. (I think that’s what it’s called, lol.) That font is tacky imo, but might fit what you want.

This was probably more in-depth than was wanted/needed. Anyways, I’d assume the gameplay to be walking in the dark for the most part. Maybe some puzzles along the way and some jump scares. Those are just some staples of the horror genre, so I could be wrong. Something regarding skeletons from the looks of it.

Thanks for the feedback, I will try to work on the UI more but here’s the things that you dont know:

I made the game by myself. I dont think I need credits just yet.

The play button will teleport you to a different place. Then there will be settings/options there.

I know that it might be cool, but I like the game without the option.

I’ll work more on these.

1 Like

the background is good and all but the text is just not interesting, so you can maybe add some background to the text and add a uicorner to it? I don’t know, but if you want it to look better you can try that.

1 Like