Thoughts on my spaceship inspired by Starscape

I modeled a spaceship in blender inspired off Starscapes style and heres what it looks like

I plan to make more ships and some turrets along with them to make a little short film i guess? Of a space fight based off Starscape. Depends on my motivation though.

How good did i do? And what are some things i can do to improve it?

(keep in mind this is my first spaceship ive ever made)

Updated thrusters with “fire”

8 Likes

The model looks really nice. I’m not sure what type of spaceship it’s supposed to be, but it makes me think of a cargo ship or perhaps just a passenger ship. I do feel like there could be some short bells around the thruster port, or some other thruster ports placed as a means to rotate the ship. Overall, it looks great.

As for the thruster effect, I’d suggest using a particle emitter because there’s lots of settings you can set to get just the right effect you want. The particle emitters also allow you to define custom particle textures.

3 Likes

The ship is supposed to be a pretty tanky fighter ship i just havent added the turrets yet also do you mean like roblox studio particle emitters cause this is for blender (for now)

2 Likes

I assumed you wanted to use it in Roblox Studio, so yes I was referring to Roblox Studio particle emitters, though there’s much more you could do in blender alone.

2 Likes

Any recommendations of what would look good while its moving around since im planning to try and make my first short film (no guarantees)

2 Likes

This is probably the simplest and least performance heavy method to achieve a thruster effect
The emission of the shader nodes could be keyframed to be animated as well

1 Like

I made the thruster finally after like trying one tutorial for 3 hours then giving up and doing a diffrent one heres the result:

Also would that like uhh foggy sorta background be good for a space fight it makes it longer to render but would it look nice?

Im trying to find a good way to make sun rays and this is one of the ways but its laggy what are your thoughts?

2 Likes

The thruster effects look nice. In real space, there isn’t really any fog, and because of that, sun rays aren’t really visible either. All the lighting in space is sharp

2 Likes

So something like this
probably wouldnt be in space? (the sun rays)

That effect is something called crepuscular rays, otherwise known as godrays. They are indeed visible from space, but only if you’re looking into an atmosphere, or looking from within an atmosphere.

Regardless, it doesn’t really matter if it’s realistic or not. All that matters is what looks good to you. Personally, I think godrays look epic anywhere lol

1 Like

Ive made a smaller “fighter” class spaceship its not that great but its alright im not a good designer so…

Dont mind the purple engine colors thats me just messing around seeing what looks good as a hyperjump or something like that.

2 Likes