Thoughts on my Star Tours ride

I’m attempting to re-create the famous original Star Tours ride. (The original one from 1987) It’s no where near finished, but I would like some feedback for the boarding area and actual simulator itself. Just so I know what to do for the future parts of the ride!

1 - Boarding Area/ Waiting Area

2 - Simulator

I’m more than happy to allow you to trial it out. Please keep in mind that the audio sync for the lift part isn’t completely finished.

Extra information;

The simulator is on a timer, so please wait for the doors to open. (I know I did spell boarding incorrectly**)
The server does not shut down automatically as of yet. Once you see space outside, the ride has ended, once completed it will last 6 minutes.

5 Likes

OH MY GOD. I remember this ride! And crying when I was like 6 cause I thought the animatronics were scary

Okay but on a serious note, I cant join at the moment, but I can give some criticism just by the images.
In the first image, there could be some more decoration, it looks really empty. Such as maybe some animatronics telling you some basic things such as buckling up when you sit down, or dont kick the seats etc to give it that more realism feeling. And maybe some reflection on the floor to help add detail?
as well as making the place more “rounded”. From the images it looks really blocky.

From the simulator itself, the chairs don’t really fit well. The fabric looks too big, Try shrinking it a bit and making it more flat. And the chairs farther apart. But not TOO far. And the chairs arm rests could also be rounded a bit. Or maybe a little cushion on the arm rests.

Thats all I can really give right now, since again, I cannot join right now and sorta based this on the screenshots, but really good job on this!

1 Like

As someone who is massive fan of Disney and as someone who’s worked on various Disney-related projects on the platform before, you did a great job on this.

I don’t believe the ride was finished as I sat in darkness for around ~2 minutes while audio continued to play, but the future is very bright for this ride. The ambience as you join is perfect and fits well with the whole vibe. As for building wise, I do agree that the ride cart is a bit too cramped for me, possibly making the seats smaller and the roof taller might do the ride some good.

The only real issue I had was that I could hear the ride audio if I joined while the ride was already in progress. This isn’t a big deal but to continue with that “vibe” you should make it so you just continue to hear that “engine hum” until your actually in the ride.

p.s maybe play around with the lighting (shadowmap??) a bit to see if you can give it more of a sci-fi vibe! :smiley:

Best,
- DeveloperColton

2 Likes

This initial feel of this game is really good. The lobby looks nice so I can’t really find any criticism on the actual build of the lobby.

Improvements

• While I was waiting for the ride, for the first time, I thought something may have glitched or something because it took a while for the doors to open. To improve this you could have something saying, “your flight will begin soon” and just before the doors open something could say, “just finishing the final checks before we open the doors.”

• As others have said, inside the actual simulator it seems a bit cramped.

As the ride isn’t finished yet, this is all the feedback I can give you at the moment.

3 Likes

I remember being so scared of this ride when I was like 8 or something. I was a stupid child who was scared of the animatronics. That’s the scariest part for a child. I guess I had a fear that I’d die on that ride or something…

…and that’s exactly what happened. (In the game, of course!) I waited for a good few minutes to get on the ride, then I selected my seat (second row, direct middle), then I waited another minute or so for the ride to start. Everything went dark, then I sat in darkness while I heard voices. After what felt like forever, the screen opened up and I got to see the building. The ship crashed into a few walls, but I was fine. Then, the pilot lost control again and I was spinning in the spaceship. Suddenly, I make a sharp right turn where my camera starts looking at the wall. I’m ejected from the spaceship and find myself falling through the void. Dead. I still hear voices. As I respawn, I immediately try to go back on the ride, still hearing the voices. The ride is locked. I can’t get back on.

Ok so my experience wasn’t very good, but simply looking at the building, what I saw was great. The inside of the ride looked very much like it could be found at Disney. However I was a bit confused when the door to the ride was shut but the line led straight into it. I didn’t know it wasn’t collidable and I spent a good 30 seconds trying to figure out where I go. Might want to have the doors to the inside ride open up with the doors on the outside. The lobby does look a bit plain, but I’m sure that you obviously will fill it with stuff eventually. As for the simulation part, well, I died.

I would try it again, but I have to wait for the ride to open even in a new game (which is very annoying).
Definitely looks really cool and has a lot of potential. Can’t wait to see more!

2 Likes

Just went to check out your game. And i gotta say you have really done a great job on it i like the lobby part, and all the different details you added to it.

My Suggestions

• I would suggest you add some lights in the waiting area, it’s a little dark in the door part when you spawn in to and it’s a little plain in the waiting. Area you could add some wires connecting to the, tv that tells them “Welcome To Star Tours” and you could, add some metal poles/wires on the wall and floor part… And i would add a lot of more details in the waiting area to look more better!!

• When i sat in my (seat the third row) i waited in the darkness for a little bit of minutes. I would recommend you add some bright lights on the ceiling part, and add different details on the simulator part! so it could look a little more sci-fi. Also you should probably space some areas on the ship out some more it looks a little to, cramped as others already said.

• And the doors takes a while to open you could add a audio to it. So people can know when the rides going to start as for myself when i’m looking at something, else i don’t know when the doors will open so when people go back on the game they will think they stand there for a long time so. I would add that to your game…!

Overall you have, really done a great job on your game i’ll play it again soon when you finish the game it’s still looks cool and like. I said above like all the details you added to it and the audio!! can’t wait to see to more from you!

2 Likes

Loved this ride at Disneyland Paris. Will definitely be giving it a go

1 Like

Okay so I love the builds and it is amazingly programmed although I was just riding on it and around 45 seconds into the ride it started moving down towards the ground and a second later I was dead so I think your going to have some bugs to fix.

2 Likes