Tilted Textures!

I’ve been building in studio for several years now, and I’ve always run into a problem when it comes into adding textures to the surface of MOST unions.

If you’ve ever dealt with Roblox building, you’ll know that when you have a regular part, there’s a highlight around the part, and even if you turn this single part into a union, it stays the same.

This means that if you were to add a texture, the texture would be straightened out, and would be just how you want it.

However, if you add a part that is at a different angle, or if you negate the part at a weird angle, it will change the angle of the angle of the highlight around the part, which in turn will angle the texture in the same way, it seems that the textures orientation depends on the parts highlights.

So, My first question; Is there a way to fix the highlighting bug, as it also effects the operation of the scale tool, as the scale tool will position itself based on the highlights too.

And although this is a problem, it doesn’t affect me as much as the fact that the textures will change with it, so if there’s no way to change the highlighting problem, is there a way to make the textures NOT depend on the highlights, and make the textures straighten out and be what is intended.

Please, let me know ASAP! (I’ve been coping with this for years and I’ve had enough😭).

Thank you!

(The title is not a Fortnite pun)

2 Likes

Unions are a bit finnicky to get right sometimes.

The orientation depends on the first part that was selected. (If you don’t do this already - hold ctrl while clicking parts to select multiple parts, one at a time, instead of just using the selection box)

Textures will often get offset for whatever reason, which can be fixed by adjusting the OffsetStuds properties of the textures

4 Likes

This is a great point, but I do that, and sometimes it doesn’t work because the tilted negation part is larger than the normal part, so I suppose sometimes I make the negation as small as possible when it comes to mass, and it works. Sometimes it flat out doesn’t. Another issue is that maybe it isn’t tilted at an awkward angle, but it’s just at a 90 degree angle.

1 Like

Absolutely no clue what you’re talking about here

Anyways, if the texture direction is rotated, just simply rotate the main part. (I suggest using the MaterialFlip plugin to make that easy)

Just always remember, the first part you select (whether manually or from dragging a selection box), will dictate the orientation, always. But if a texture you’re using has a weird direction quirk, you’ll have to adjust accordingly.

1 Like

It seems like @VGVC2 has given a good answer, but I just want to say that those are completely separate systems. It’s just that the bounding-box highlight is, well, shaped like a box, and just happens to rotate in the same direction as the texture in order to fit the part in the box. You can disable the bounding-box highlight in the ribbon bar and leave just the outline highlight through a button in one of the tabs (I can’t recall which, it’s one of the large buttons with a big icon though) if you find it too distracting.

3 Likes

The MaterialFlip plugin is good, but that doesn’t actually flip the material, it flips the WHOLE part and scales it to what it was before the flip.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Ironically, MaterialFlip doesn’t flip materials or textures at all, it just flips the part and re-adjusts the dimensions accordingly (switches x and y values), so MaterialFlip just ruins the whole union.

1 Like

You’re not supposed to use materialflip on unions.

And don’t forget you have to select the part you want to negate from first if you want to preserve its orientation in the final union, don’t select the negative parts first.

1 Like

Sorry, I misread. I thought you were telling me to use MaterialFlip AFTER I make it a union, but I just reread it, thank you!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.