'timerServiceOnHeartbeat' causing large lagspike

After exactly one minute of sitting in any game, even an empty baseplate, ‘timerServiceOnHeartbeat’ spikes and takes >100ms to complete.

System information:
Ryzen 9 3900x
32GB DDR4 3200MHz
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070

19 Likes

Wanted to add that I am also encountering this issue.

System information:
Intel(R) Core™ i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
32GB
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070

2 Likes

This is issue is also occurring for me

System Information:
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
16 GB
Radeon RX 580 Series

2 Likes

It is the same issue? 64-Bit Client causes random CPU spikes in-game

1 Like

On my end, CPU usage isn’t increasing drastically when this happens.

5 Likes

Thx for telling, so they are 2 freeze problems
I hope Roblox will look about these really soon

1 Like

We are investigating the issue, and will follow up when we have updates!

Thanks for flagging!

9 Likes

Any update on this? Seems like a lot of people are encountering this issue. Real upsetting that this company is never transparent about these bugs and action only happens when more noteworthy developers make bug reports. :3

13 Likes

This is so annoying and has been affecting my gameplay in almost every game I play. How does something this massive go unnoticed? Why did it take a bug-report to get their attention? This is frustrating, and this needs fixed ASAP.

4 Likes

This has been happening to me, too. Same microprofiler result and everything, and a freeze that lasts 3-5 seconds.

It seems to happen both in Client & Studio, and consistently about ~20-30 seconds into playing. Running Windows 10 client.

4 Likes

Hi @clv2, we did some preliminary investigation locally and was able to locate the code that caused the spike. We will continue with the investigation and figure out a solution to mitigate the spike.

It looks like this piece code is being executed every 60 seconds. Did you see the spike only after the first 60s or every 60s?

fishrotR

2 Likes

There seems to only be one spike at the beginning, there is nothing noticeable after waiting longer.

2 Likes

You are correct. The spike actually will only happen once.
We’ve already merged a proper fix to the engine. The fix will be in new client releases.
I’ll update here when the fix is enabled.

6 Likes

5 Likes

The freeze is still here in version 0.592

1 Like

I would assume it’s with the use of heartbeat … that is as fast as possible.
To a computer that’s pretty fast … have you tied stepped. That is every v-sync.
So if you’re screen is at 60 it would be 60 times a second. Heartbeat is WAY over that.

Hi developers,
I turned on the fix just now. Could you try again to verify the fix if you get any chances?

Thanks,
fishrotR

1 Like

I’ve tested with my friends and we didn’t have the lag spike
Thx for the fix

1 Like