TimeZoneService - Get and compare server & client time zones!

This is my first post in Community Resources, so let me know if I need to add or improve details.

Roblox Model: https://www.roblox.com/library/8644509383/TimeZoneService
GitHub: https://github.com/Eezby/Roblox-TimeZoneService

Description

Greetings developers!

This was a fun mini side project I wrote in a few hours after viewing this post about how to determine what region a Roblox server is being hosted in. This module allows you to figure out what region / time zone a server is running in as well as what time zone a client is running in. I thought of a few potentially useful use cases that I will list below.

Use Cases

• Use alongside a matchmaking service to queue players in the same or similar time zones together. Or let them pick which time zones they prefer to be queued in.

• Integrate with a server list system so players can see which regions a server is being hosted in. Using this module you can tell the client if a region would be a good or bad fit for them.

Functions

TimeZoneService:GetServerInfo()
Get details about the server’s location and timezone data. See notes in the function for editing data received.

TimeZoneService:GetClientTimeZone(client: Instance<Player>)
Invoke the client for their GMT time offset and receive information about their timezone.

TimeZoneService:GetTimeZoneInfo(zone: string)
Pass in a valid timezone from the TimeZone table below (ex. EST, PST, GMT) and receive information about it’s full name and offset.

TimeZoneService:GetTimeZoneByOffset(offset: number, inSeconds: boolean)
Pass in an offset and get back the corresponding timezone. You can specify whether the offset is in seconds or hours using the optional “inSeconds” boolean value.

TimeZoneService:GetTimeZoneByContinent(continent: string)
Pass in a valid continent code (NA, SA, AS, AF, EU, AU) and receive a list of timezones within that continent.

TimeZoneService:GetTimeZoneStatus(zone1: string, zone2: string)
Pass in two valid timezones from the TimeZone table below and receive information about how viable their are together. For example EST → EST is “Amazing”, while EST → GMT is “Terrible”. This can be used for telling players how their ping might fair in a certain server region.

TimeZoneService:SortBestTimeZones(zone: string)
Pass in a valid timezone from the TimeZone table below and receive an ordered list of every timezone from best to worse in terms of distance and “group”.

Examples

local TimeZoneService = require(game.ReplicatedStorage.TimeZoneService)
print(TimeZoneService:GetServerInfo())

local TimeZoneService = require(game.ReplicatedStorage.TimeZoneService)

local serverInfo = TimeZoneService:GetServerInfo()
local serverTimeZone, serverZoneInfo = TimeZoneService:GetTimeZoneByOffset(serverInfo.gmtOffset)
local clientTimeZone, clientZoneInfo = TimeZoneService:GetClientTimeZone(player)

print(serverTimeZone.." -> "..clientTimeZone..": "..TimeZoneService:GetTimeZoneStatus(serverTimeZone, clientTimeZone))

local clientTimeZone, clientZoneInfo = TimeZoneService:GetClientTimeZone(player)
print(TimeZoneService:SortBestTimeZones(clientTimeZone)) -- Example is EST

How It works

Getting The Server Time Zone: This is done using two APIs, one to get the server’s IP, and another to use that IP to get the relevant information.

Getting The Client Time Zone: This is done using the fact that workspace:GetServerTimeNow() always returns the time in terms of UTC and tick() returns the time in terms of the client’s time zone. Using this we can do tick() - workspace:GetServerTimeNow() to get the utcOffset in seconds.

The actual function is math.floor((tick() - workspace:GetServerTimeNow()) / 100 + 0.5) * 100

Comparing this to the table of time zones I listed in the module, you can accurately find a player’s time zone.

Notes

• The server’s region is not determined by the first player to enter. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn’t - do not rely on the client’s time zone to guess what the server’s time zone will be.

• I have no clue what the API limitations are, and the function weightings are completely based on my opinion.

• More details can be seen on the GitHub page or inside the module itself

Feel free to give feedback! I hope you can mess around with this module or find a way to use it in a production level game. Thanks for reading!

31 Likes

Interesting resource. It looks really good. I’ll be sure to try it out when I can :slight_smile:

1 Like

Look nice, could be used in conjunction with a custom matchmaking service for better server-filling.

2 Likes

Does this support continents like EU? and asia

Yes, it supports every continent except Antarctica since I’m pretty sure Roblox doesn’t have any servers there :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

lol I wasn’t planning to ask that but thanks for answering my question

1 Like

What would the code be to make this service get the time that they are in and print it out? Like if the timezone is EST then it prints out 9:34 am (or something else :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

This doesn’t get the player’s IP address, it only gets the server’s as you can only make HTTP requests from the server side.

1 Like

You wouldn’t even need this module actually. You could just get the tick() value from the player, and pass it into the os.date function.

local clientTick = tick()
print(os.date("%I:%M%p", clientTick))
1 Like

I feel very stupid… :sweat_smile: Thanks anyway!!

1 Like

My concern is it showing the Region and city especially on a kids game.

You know there’s gonna be that one slender that’s a staff member on a game dox you.

As previously stated, there is no way to get any location information from the client, only their time zone - which is a huge area of the world. If getting someone’s location were possible it would be a huge security flaw.

What does this stuff mean?

Click the link attached to os.date in my previous reply.

1 Like

And how are we developers supposed to get the region and city? By using the timezone? It doesn’t work like that

3 Likes

Oh that’s cool