Tips for a new *ORIGINAL* Roblox Simulator?

One of my goals as a game dev is to make a 1 game in every genre; fps, rpg, etc. I come into these genres with limited knowledge, save simulators. I’m aware of the negative connotation around Roblox simulators (clicky ones, not ones that actually simulate stuff) about being mindless little gambling games for kids.
So. I want to make a Roblox Simulator that’s actually enjoyable.
I’m sure you’ll need some context to help me a bit, so I’ll tell you that it’s a simulator in which you help save the earth. (Water plants, pick up trash, etc)

• I’m looking for an alternative to the whole pet system, y’know, random cubes come out of an egg thing. These pets often provide enhanced gameplay such as doubling their in-game skills and stuff. What would be a better alternative to this, OR a better way to tackle this system?
  • I’m not very good with gameplay loops, or what really is enjoyable gameplay, so how can I make the gameplay not become stale quickly/be fun and exciting?

• Any other good ways to revamp what are currently not very enjoyable parts of Roblox Simulators?

Thanks for your help!

3 Likes

What about creating a simulator that allows you to build other simulators :joy:

6 Likes

Not a bad idea, but I think that would be more like a tycoon. I’ll definitely add it to the list lol

2 Likes

A simulator, but it’s quite literally a simulation. Hire workers to help with your simulations which could be simulating how people react/live and what they enjoy. If the people enjoy your simulation, news spreads and more people want to participate in your simulations to the point where it gets cheaper and cheaper to afford people for your simulations. There is a rank in the people you simulate though, dumb people are cheaper then the smart people. Once you have gained data from your simulations, hand it in to your big boss for money to improve your simulations company and afford more workers. Ultimately using your money to give participants a more enjoyable experience.

You could also add other features such as:
-People sue you!
-The police are after you for illegal activity so you pay to be more undercover
-Grid like building system to make a nice looking simulation

1 Like

Again, it’s a great idea that I’d love to make at some point, but I’ve already mentioned the basic theming of the game: :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

Whoops. should’ve read a bit more before I replied.

You could possibly add a bit of a side simulation, when you pick trash up there is a chance you find expensive things which can be crafted into trophies which can be used as luck or multipliers.

1 Like

If its not too late, If you want to create a simulator that does not get stale and is actually unique, then making a game that actually simulates something is probably the best way to go. Even better a true simulation game that implements some kind of preceduralism, so players can experiment and basically create their own fun.

A few ideas, when collecting trash some trash can have weird reactions to other trash that effects the game in different ways. Don’t be reserved with this either, players tend to love chaotic games, like Generic Roleplay Gaem, Neighborhood War, Runker, etc. (of course, you need other elements or the game will spike then die, like what these games did). Adding to this theme of mild chaos, you can add machines that process trash and others that turn bio-material to plant seeds or something, players will probably have a great time messing with that if their bodies can be affected by them.

Of course, when adding game mechanics make sure they’ll be fun and usable by all age groups, I feel like games like Deepwoken and Arcane Odyssey would be more popular if there wasn’t such a high cognitive floor (of course this would change how those games work entirely). While simulation games tend to not have this problem, its important to know that a good amount of little children play roblox (though honestly I think simulation games have the opposite problem, just make sure to cater to all ages).

Another thing you could implement is both more things to do (more jobs I guess) and have these things related to each other. For example, instead of just picking up trash and watering plants for the entire game play, you can give some players the option to analyze how hazardous some trash is and coordinate ways to dispose of it. If they choose not to, add in some interesting consequence to that decision. maybe some players can stake back to manage trash processors while others collect trash. Another example, You can maybe allow some player to devote their entire gameplay to eating trash, which affects them in some way (like exploding).

For the social aspect of the game, leaning heavily on the Saving the Earth idea might be good. Try to develop some internal “vibes” so to speak that makes players aggressively into saving the planet. This can be done with “Sunshine and Rainbows” music (though make sure it isn’t repetitive or obnoxious) and a very Earthy art style/game textures. This will be further enhanced if chaotic game mechanics are implemented.

Something else for players, a lot of players search desperately for advantages in the game. Whether it be some money glitch or a way to move around the map players, love it when they find some kind of advantage. With that, you could add hidden mechanics that give players some kind of advantage (or an illusion of an advantage). This could be secret teleportation spots (that spawn in corners randomly), Some trash that gives an oddly high bonus when disposed, or just randomly fill a players bucket with water.

While it probably will never top the addictiveness of Pet Systems, maybe add some wearable loot. Like a hazmat suit that eliminates the risk of trash collecting, or a steel barrel as a backpack full of water to water plants. It’ll add some grind element that is a must have for Roblox games, which honestly sucks but the other game mechanics can make up for it. I have to say it again, some grind element is the most important part of a long lasting Roblox game, Pets is the proven easiest way

Though I know that this is a lot and very ambitious, creating an “actual” simulation game requires that you consider the complexities of what you are simulating, and changing it a little to make it fun.

2 Likes

The main issue here is that doing things like picking up the trash is not that fun for people in real life, so translating that to a video game… it might feel like even more of a chore. In order to combat this, you need to give them meaningful rewards. No one is going to feel that rewarded that they picked up 10 pieces of garbage on the ground. Now, make them SELL those garbages and we get a little more of an exciting game. UPGRADE their tools, and you get more of an exciting game. Add PETS and you’ve got a pretty good game going. About gameplay not becoming stale, well that’s why you have to play test it even while you’re developing it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.