Tips for Creating an Umbrella

I’ve created a structure for a big umbrella but I’m unsure on how to go about dressing it with fabric. Is there a more convenient way than manually tilting and rotating parts around the ribs?

I’m horrible at using Archimedes so if there are any tips out there that can help please share as well!

The orientation of the umbrella isn’t perfect by the way

2 Likes

there’s gapfill, the plugin, but i’m not sure if it’ll help with what you’re doing, oh and the plugin basically lets you copy a thing, then fill it between one point to another, so if you positioned one part, you should be able to use the gapfill plugin to make the fabric cover, i think? sometimes there’s no foolproof way to something that looks complicated, so if it doesn’t work, best that you get a special mesh which shapes around the metal pieces

1 Like

I just tried gap fill but unfortunately it didn’t work + I also can’t create meshes yet haha

2 Likes

you could also do the ‘render circle’ in archimedes, but make sure it’s going the right way when the preview lights up, all you need is one part positioned, then click render circle!

1 Like

My only advice: Learn and use Blender.

5 Likes

Try the gap fill plugin, I usually use it for stuff like this:

1 Like

You can use a skinned mesh if you ever plan on rigging it.