Tips for making textures for many models in a short amount of time?

My development group is currently working on a pre-9/11 NYC game. Hence why (a free modeled placeholder for) the original World Trade Center is seen in some of my screenshots.

One of the biggest challenges facing the project was having to make the sheer amount of buildings that NYC has, as well as aligning them (somewhat) correctly with a map. We came across this plugin and it’s super useful, however, the buildings it renders DO NOT have ANY textures whatsoever to them. Not an issue normally, but we’re talking dozens of unique-shaped buildings that need textures of some sort…

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for how to create some quick but decent-looking textures for these 3D models?

3 Likes

I would recommend just starting off with the main shape and working from there adding in ledges, and stuff like that. Also they’re is no fast way to model. usually the longer it takes the better outcomes you will get. Try using blender and making some shapes there for it and just merging them together and see if you like the outcome. Test around with it.

5 Likes