Tips for math functions

Yes, it’s a constant meaning no changes could be made

1 Like

Ah yes, just found that out. Silly me :sweat_smile:

There are 2 functions called math.sin and math.cos, you can make a circle out of these 2 functions. (known as polar coordinate)

local radius = 50

local increment = 0.1

for i = 0, math.pi*2, increment do
    local x = radius * math.cos(i)
    local y = radius * math.sin(i)
    print(x, y)
end
1 Like

So, this is the result of math.pi?

Yes, its an floating point, pi decimals is actually infinite, but we’ll crash if we load all the numbers of pi.

So, this is basically an approx. result? (I’m sorry for my unlimited questions)

I don’t know what do you mean by approximate result (i have limited phrases knowledge in english)

Heres a updated script that demonstrates how math.pi can used for

local radius = 50

local increment = 0.1

for i = 0, math.pi*2, increment do -- math.pi * 2 is equals to 360 degrees
	local x = radius * math.cos(i)
	local y = radius * math.sin(i)

local part = Instance.new('Part', workspace)
	part.Position = Vector3.new(x, 5, y)
	part.Anchored = true
end
1 Like

It’s alright. I understand what pi returns now. Thanks!

1 Like

Let me know if you have any questions about it

Basically, math.floor() returns the lowest whole number for a decimal, with math.ceil() doing the opposite; rounding the number up to the highest whole number in a decimal.

Examples:

print(math.floor(1.99)) - will always return 1.

print(math.ceil(1.01)) - will always return 2.

1 Like

math.abs() is a function that returns the absolute value of a number (converts negative to positive number)

For instance, math.abs(-1) returns 1
math.abs(0) returns 0 because its a positive number
math.abs(1) returns 1

now, lets move onto math.pow(), math.pow() is equilevant to x^y

Example: math.pow(5, 2) is 25 (5*5)
5^2 is also 25
math.pow(9, 1) is 9

3 Likes

Just to summarize what has already been said, you can think of math.floor and math.ceil like this:

math.floor:
When running a number through this function, think about it as cutting off the numbers after the decimal. For example:
math.floor(5.7) == 5.7 == 5
See how we “chopped off” the numbers after the decimal?

math.ceil:
When running a number through this function, it’s best to think of it as math.floor with an extra step. In this case, that extra step is to just add 1. So math.ceil(x) == math.floor(x) + 1. For example:
math.ceil(5.7) == (5.7 + 1) == (5 + 1) == 6

For other functions in the math library, you will either have to understand the underlying concept already or be ready to learn it.

2 Likes

Just a fair warning, this reply is sort-of long-winded, so if you don’t want to read all of it, there’s a short explanation at the bottom for those who already understand exponents and the square root of a number.

Just to provide an extension of this, math.abs can be thought of as a result of multiplying a number by itself. What I’m alluding to here are the rules for multiplying negative and positive numbers. When you multiply a negative number by another negative number you get a positive number. When you multiply a positive number by a positive number you get a positive number. For example:
1 * 2 = 2 and -1 * -2 = 2

But what does this have to do with math.abs you’re asking? Hold on, I’m getting there.
As @Artzified mentioned, math.power multiplies a number by itself the specified amount of times. What he didn’t mention is the inverse of this, finding the nth root. This requires a bit more explanation however, so bear with me if you can. Also, if you already understand the square root of a number or the nth term, you can skip this part.

Finding The nth Root:
First, lets discuss a term you might be more familiar with, the square root of a number. But what is this? Glad you asked! The square root of a number is a number that when multiplied by itself once, gives you the number you found the square root of. This can be hard to explain through words, so I’ll provide a more visual example.
For example:
5 * 5 = 25
In this case, 5 is being multiplied by itself once. This also ties into the math.pow function mentioned, as it is the same as math.pow(5, 2)
This makes 5 the square root of 25, because when multiplied by itself once, it gives us 25.
Another example would be 2.
2 * 2 = 4
In this case, 2 is the square root of 4 because when multiplied by itself, it gives us 4. Roblox has built in support for getting the square root of a number with the math.sqrt function.
If you understand this and just want to understand how this is related to math.abs, move on past the following paragraph. If you want to learn about roots in general, carry on.

Roots in General

Alright, first things first, what does it mean to find the nth root? What does nth even mean? n is just a variable meant as a stand-in for any (positive) number. For example, the square root of a number is the 2nd root because it is when there are two numbers multiplied to get the result. Again, a visual example:
2 * 2 = 4
see how there are two numbers multiplied to get the four?
Now, with this in mind, say we wanted to find the 3rd root, also called the cube root, of a number. In this example, let us find the 3rd root of 27. This means we want to find the number that gives us 27 when multiplied three times. In this case, that number is 3. Visual example:
3 * 3 * 3 = 27
This remains true no matter what value of nth root you want to find.

Great. Now that you understand roots (or at the very least, the square root of a number) and exponents (the math.pow function), you should be able to understand and appreciate what math.abs is doing. Essentially, it uses the exponent of the value to get rid of negatives, and the square root of the exponent to get the absolute value. Like I mentioned at the beginning, this is possible because a negative times a negative equals a positive.
As always, here’s a visual example:

math.abs(x) == math.sqrt(math.pow(x, 2))

1 Like

This is actually the official definition of the absolute value.

What part is? The equation? Because the official definition is the amount a value is displaced from zero on the number line. However, the equation is the way we get this in coding.

The absolute value part.

It looks like this:

|x| = √x^2
1 Like

math.pi is 180 degrees in form of radians, which can be converted to degrees using math.deg and back to radians by math.rad.

1 Like

Yes. While the equation for absolute value is relatively simple to understand, the key word there is relatively. Not everybody has the level of knowledge necessary to understand how the equation works, so I wanted to provide a bit of background knowledge with the assumption that people reading at least understood basic math.

I understand. You did a good job in explaining it.

1 Like