Tips on Animating

Im a scripter looking to learn a bit of animating.

So far i’ve only made one animation that is still in progress (I started literally today). So i want to get some tips on how to improve my animation.

My one animation looks too linear, it has no life in it. I wanted to get some tips on how can i improve on that. I only use the default roblox animator, I didnt get moon animator back in the day as i didnt think i’d ever animate, and im too broke for it.

My one Animation:

Its terrible i know.

It looks too linear and I’ve tried arranging the frames a bit so it has some timing differences, I’ve also tried putting easing styles but non helped so far (maybe because i haven’t experimented with them enough). I tried putting bounce at the end frames but it didn’t do anything (didn’t see any bouncing whatsoever).

So, any tips for an animator starting out? Any beginner mistakes i should avoid? and good habits i should adapt?

I appreciate the help!

Use blender, its ridiculously easier and better, I used to say too much work to download it and its not really better but it saved my life so much, animation that took 50m i made in 5m.

1 Like

for both rig types? i dont think i have enough commitment yet to animate r15 to im only using r6

Well, I never rigged r6 but there must be a rig for it…

will importing the roblox dummy work? or do i need to rig it myself?

there is but getting r6 ik constrains on it is an absolute pain and none of the videos on welding an object work for me

Well I did not animate for a LONG time so I can’t really tell you, however I am sure there are some on the devforum and youtube, however I recommand for you to learn basics of blender first (Moving, rotating, scaling) and than animate, should not take more than 10m.

there is nothing wrong with roblox animation editor, blender is better from what I can see but it wont make or break the quality of your animations as a beginner. There are much more important things to animations than the software you use

ok i imported a r6 rig and it has no face. How do i know where the front face is? its just purple

nvm im dumb. figured it out

I by no means consider myself an advanced animator but I can give you some tips based on my limited experience. The animation you made is very good considering that its your first ever one. I can see that you consider the movements of all of your limbs when your rig is doing an overhead swing with the sword.

as you mentioned it is very linear and has no “life” of it, its good that you noticed this.
This is probably because the sword swing is way too fast for a human to do, you should consider slowing down the speed of the limbs at parts, specifically when the rig is bringing the sword up. To do this you need to add more keyframes during the part when the sword is being brought up and move them so there is more space in between. The slash when the sword is brought should be find as you have it now

well actually after the rig does the slash you need some “after effect keyframes” (idk the specific terms im self taught). Basically you dont want the character to immediately go into idle position after performing a slash, just add some keyframes of the rig moving the sword back to prepare for their next swing or something

I see, thanks for the insights it really helps when i get feedback from other people

no problem this is just some advice from a beginner like me if you really want to take it further recommend you watch some videos on youtube about animations in general, doesnt have to be roblox animations, they share similar if not same principles and fundamentals

Switching tools won’t help much if he don’t know the basics of making a good animation, Blender might make it easier but it won’t improve much.

Animation needs a lot of easing and timing. The preparation part for the action needs to be longer, to build the energy, add more weight, add easing preferly In, hold it a bit then swing. When the character swings the sword, the swing needs to be longer and the direction of the sword needs to point forward, and not upward like in your animation, the swing needs to be short, with high easing, and In-Out or Out direction, then the final part, the character will need to balance itself, you will need a frame that character is out of the final position, relatives to the direction of the movement then the keyframes later, make the pose like the final position.

That’s all I have to say, I think if you want to be good at animating, look at other’s animation as a reference, watch some videos about animation in general, and then pratice. Highly recommend this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDqjIdI4bF4